Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I am almost afriad to ask but does anyone else's Sene like..

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

I am almost afriad to ask but does anyone else's Sene like..

Postby tattoo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Chicken? he also likes meat like steak or hamburgers. Cooked of course. he does not get it often but if we have chicken for dinner he goes crazy until we give him some. He likes the chicken especially if it is still on the bone.

Is tattoo just a wierdo? I have to admit he is terribly spoiled. He hates pellets. I give him a good diet (i think) of canary food (as per my avian vet), parrot seed, a birdie bread cupcake, fresh veggies like carrots, apples, peppers etc. About once a week i give him sprouted seeds too.

i will watch for comments.. i hope that i am not hurting him.. but so far he has been eating meat for a year and a half and he is fine.
tattoo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: I am almost afriad to ask but does anyone else's Sene like..

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 pm

It's made of the same stuff as the bird so it's not that harmful. I think the issue is more that it's not as nutritious as other things the bird could be eating. I have never heard of it being harmful but the health benefits are debatable. I can tell you for sure that the bird would not be missing out by not eating it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby jhuff » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Binx eats Chicken from time to time. He loves it. I think its fine for them as long as that is not their whole diet! My vet told me that my baby can eat almost anything I eat. She also told me that if i let him eat with me it is good for bonding!
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 pm

jhuff wrote:My vet told me that my baby can eat almost anything I eat

Please keep in mind that this statement presumes that you eat healthy. If you eat a lot of junk food, processed, or saucy food, don't assume you can give it to the bird. Only healthy (and predominantly vegetarian) eating is ok for the parrot. Also just cause the parrot can eat it, doesn't mean there is nutritional value to the parrot from that food. I used to give celery and lettuce to my parrot but later found out that it's too much water and dilutes the nutritional value of other foods by doing that. Considering she only eats a little bit, it would be like eating nothing but a meal of lettuce/celery for us. So keep this in mind that food's that are safe to eat are not necessarily good for them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 pm

I have read that many parrots do consume insects in the wild and that a small amount of good quality lean animal protein such as chicken or fish can help them meet their protein needs as insect consumption might otherwise -- although any processed diet is going to do that, too. My husband has fed mealworms to birds in the past, but has declared it was not worth it, especially with a messy eater. Think about it.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby tattoo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Tattoo does not eat chicken much.. he just likes it a lot. My breeders also told us that they can eat anything healthy we eat except for avocados and chocolate. We make sure he never gets any of that. He gets his normal diet during the day (lots fresh foods, birdie bread, parrot foods and only fatty seeds hidden in foraging toys like sunfloweseeds) we keep him in his cage while we eat and then we let him out and he tries likes to pick at our plates.. so what he actually gets is very small. I just wondered if he was unusual.

Someone who works for me had her boyfriend bring in his Macaw by and he said he had just stopped at Mc D"s and he got a hamburger for himself and one for the bird.
tattoo
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Suzzique » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Chicken is good for them in small amounts as it does help with protien needs. Chicken bones are even better for them. So if yours is interested let him try one. Don't worry birds eat chicken bones differently than dogs so do not have the same concerns. Alex loves chicken bones while I'm still trying to convince Martini that they are good stuff.

Alex also loves a good hamberger from time to time. Though he has more fun tearing it appart than eatting it. :lol: Oh and feeding the dog what he doesn't want. He loves feeding the dog!

So no your bird is not wierd in any way. :)
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby kimbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm

mine likes chicken and hes tried beef, pork and lamb, in fact he has his own plate (saucer) and i put veggies from our meal plus a small amount of meat. he doesnt eat it all but i think he likes the fact that he gets some. so no your bird is normal. but i wouldnt give burgers as there is too much fat in them. to find out cook one and leave it to go cold, you will see just how much grease comes out. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 am

I'm vegetarian, but even I worry about the foods I feed our :senegal: . I've heard that it isn't as simple as no chocolate and no avocado. Things as seemingly harmless as onions can cause thinned blood and potential bleeding issues. As for chicken, I'd make sure you stick with high quality and antibiotic/hormone-free meats, not just for your bird's sake but also for yours. I'm personally finding over time that the things our bird prefers aren't always the things that are good for him. But given enough seasonings, he eventually comes to enjoying even the healthier things like sprouts.
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby alight15 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 am

Suzzique wrote:Chicken is good for them in small amounts as it does help with protien needs. Chicken bones are even better for them. So if yours is interested let him try one. Don't worry birds eat chicken bones differently than dogs so do not have the same concerns. Alex loves chicken bones while I'm still trying to convince Martini that they are good stuff.

Alex also loves a good hamberger from time to time. Though he has more fun tearing it appart than eatting it. :lol: Oh and feeding the dog what he doesn't want. He loves feeding the dog!

So no your bird is not wierd in any way. :)

well just a note,be careful how you feed it to them,i've read giving strands of the meat is the safest way,and as to why the other forms might not be.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars