Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Orange Guard pest control

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Orange Guard pest control

Postby liz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:30 am

House fleas are pretty easy to kill. Place a pan of soapy water under a night light. In the morning you will have a good collection.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:27 am

Do people even have fleas in the home nowadays? I mean, you need to have a HUGE infestation of fleas on your dogs for you to have adult fleas in the house...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue May 01, 2018 6:32 am

If I remember right there are fleas in every yard. Only the females want blood. I have found fleas on my slack after visiting a neighbors yard. Even if you don't have a pet you can have fleas in your carpet.

My remedy works. I had to tell a patients daughter this method. She had moved in with her dogs that had no fleas but quickly got infested from the fleas brought in from the yard. The fleas jump to the night light but land in soapy water.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 am

Oh, yes, flea eggs, larvae and adults do live in the soil but they tend to jump on dogs or cats before they jump on people because they have a higher body temperature and don't wear clothes - and, if the dogs have flea prevention medicine, they die right off. I feed feral cats which, of course, cannot be treated for fleas [I wish!!!!] and I know for a fact there are fleas in my backyard but, if my dogs catch any, they die the first time they bite them so I never have fleas in the house - well, let me rephrase that because it's not as if I have never had them: I haven't had a flea infestation in the house in years now.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu May 03, 2018 5:34 am

After walking in your yard check your pants legs. They hitch hike on you to get to the house.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

Liz, I clean the backyard [pick up the poop] twice a day and I can assure you without the shadow of a doubt that there are not and never have been any fleas on my pants or my legs after walking in it. I repeat, you need to have a HUGE infestation for fleas to be jumping up from the soil.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby david123 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:06 am

Hi,
I have heard that pesticides used in the paint to keep away pests have some adverse effect on birds. Actually I am having a parrot as a pet, can you suggest me best pest control pesticides?
Thank You
Last edited by david123 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
david123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parrot,finch

Postby liz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 am

In Florida I have had about everything. The worst is those little German roaches. The sprays kill them instantly but I can't us it in the house because of the birds. I have been using a product that I can't remember the name of but it has the word "earth" in it. So far it is working. Most of the bugs I find are dead. Thank GOD I don't have the big roaches. I have found two dead ones but that is all.
I used to think the bugs came in with the groceries so we did not keep any cardboard boxes from grocery stores. Then while sweeping the deck I moved some things and found a cluster of those awful German roaches. They also eat wood. My old house must be like "prime rib" to them. I have been told to call in an exterminator but that will not work because of my birds.

The last time we were over run I moved my birds to Charles' house. He now need to replace all the trim work in his bathroom. Myrtle even chewed his closet door and triple mirror backing. He was doing spring cleaning and found an egg in his guest room closet from the cockatiels.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:55 am

david123 wrote:Hi,
I have heard that pesticides used in the paint to keep away pests have some adverse effect on birds. Actually I am having a parrot as a pet, can you suggest me some pesticides?
Thank You

Paint is no longer poisonous but, personally, I only use the Zero VOS, nursery-safe one, just in case. As to pesticides, I don't use them anywhere, neither in my home nor in my garden.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby danish53 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Hello,

Is Orange Guard home pest control water-based formula. :?: :roll:

Sydney Pest Control
Last edited by danish53 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
danish53
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet