Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mango's Unusual Poop

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Mango's Unusual Poop

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 am

Ok to start off its my birthday today so I got the day off school and I brought my little sister to school and Mango came with me on the way back I was stopped by a couple of people complementing him and met someone who has a Amazon parrot and asked me do I know anyone that would want him because her husband is in hospital and she cant look after him.So when I got home I took Mango's Diaper off and put him in his cage and took his bowl out to make his breakfast,I gave him watermelon squares and broccoli grassy sprouts (It doesn't only contain broccoli it has other stuff cant remember I think another was clover.) and then I went back to bed and when I woke up I went with my mam to pick my sister up and Mango came and when we got home I took the diaper off and the liner was red and I immediately thought that must be the Watermelon it cant be blood what do u guys think? Also he ate all his breakfast and just now I gave him more of the Broccoli grassy sprouts and carrots and some seed.He's not a picky eater at all he will eat anything.

ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Mango's Unusual Poop

Postby shiraartain » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:45 am

Please take him to a vet immediately. Watermelon would not tint the feces to that extent. He needs medical attention, now.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:58 am

shiraartain wrote:Please take him to a vet immediately. Watermelon would not tint the feces to that extent. He needs medical attention, now.

Omg really he did eat a lot of watermelon and it does look like watermelon and it does look normal that after eating he pooped.I did some research and saw many people saying about their parrots poop after eating watermelon and other reddy foods.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Looks like it was the Watermelon.Blood when dry turns a brownish colour and watermelon stays red.I think I gave him a little much so ill reduce the amount I give him.Hes eating carrots now and his sprouts.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby martins99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:09 pm

I completely agree that is too much watermelon and certainly not blood. Here are some other foods you can feed your bird : https://ecopetlife.com/can-parakeets-eat-watermelon/
martins99
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:22 am

This is an old thread and the member is no longer with us but watermelon does NOT change the poop color and yes, blood in poop can appear a bright red (it depends on whether the blood comes from the upper or lower intestine). Cherries, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate seeds, etc change the color of the poop but not watermelon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet