Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is he supposed to do this?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Is he supposed to do this?

Postby BabyBird » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:27 pm

whenever she is sitting on her very top perch she fluffs up her feathers and sits there and sometimes wonders around, (and does the little dance that the lovely people at the forum educated me about so that's okay) but I'm worried that her feathers are turning black in some spots and she seems to be sneezing quite often, she also has Poop stuck to her tail feathers (not the vent) and her tail feathers are all frayed and ruined as if she's been scratching them on something :o, can anybody give me some advice? Sorry for so many questions on this forum, I am experienced with parrots but I'm just making sure it's okay. :) :gcc: -Yellow sided conure :)
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Is he supposed to do this?

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I would worry about anything more than an occasional sneeze. The black bits on the feathers sound like stress bars.
The fact she isn't keeping herself very clean would worry me too.
Feathers do get damaged over time which is why they moult them. That would worry me a bit less but it would depend on the extent of the damage, it could be another sign she isn't preening properly.

Personally if she's sneezing often I would get her checked out.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:53 pm

If the bird is sneezing often, I would take it to see the doctor, just to rule out any respiratory infections, you just can't afford to take chances with their health as they are expert at hiding any illness until it is to late to save their lives. I think that I would also use the shower to steam up the bathroom really well and take him in there for about 15minutes, making certain that the toilet is closed and that he can't get into the shower where the hot water is running. This may help with his sneezing, even if he has an infection.
I would watch the bird so that I can see it poop to make sure that it is pooping normally and then look at the poop to see if it is looking like it should. Birds that are not sick rarely ever have any poop on them, so it is also a cause for concern.
The black on the feathers sounds like stress bars but you also need to observe the bird to see if it is barbering its feathers or if it is damaging them in some other manner and what that manner might be.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby BabyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:10 am

Wolf wrote:If the bird is sneezing often, I would take it to see the doctor, just to rule out any respiratory infections, you just can't afford to take chances with their health as they are expert at hiding any illness until it is to late to save their lives. I think that I would also use the shower to steam up the bathroom really well and take him in there for about 15minutes, making certain that the toilet is closed and that he can't get into the shower where the hot water is running. This may help with his sneezing, even if he has an infection.
I would watch the bird so that I can see it poop to make sure that it is pooping normally and then look at the poop to see if it is looking like it should. Birds that are not sick rarely ever have any poop on them, so it is also a cause for concern.
The black on the feathers sounds like stress bars but you also need to observe the bird to see if it is barbering its feathers or if it is damaging them in some other manner and what that manner might be.

Thanks for the info, she does preen herself put just not her tail, I don't know if it's hurting her or something because it's very frayed at the bottom. I'll take a picture.
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Postby BabyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:17 am

it won't let me upload a photo it says must be ATLEAST 0 pixels and max 2448

(Her poop is a runny green colour with white around the outside. Not really runny but not solid, and sometimes it's just solid white)
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:29 am

I would get this bird to the vet today. Make some calls and find the closest avian vet, tell them that your bird is sick and that you are on the way in and go.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby BabyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:53 am

Wolf wrote:I would get this bird to the vet today. Make some calls and find the closest avian vet, tell them that your bird is sick and that you are on the way in and go.

Why is this serious??
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:06 am

I don't know, it could be very serious or not. Birds live in a flock, they do this to avoid predators, but if they get sick the flock kicks them out and will even peck them to death if they won't leave. This makes them very good at hiding any illness until they can not hide it any longer. By the time we start seeing symptoms of their illness they may only have a few hours to live. Sometimes they have longer but there is no way that we can know for sure. For this reason I treat every illness as an emergency as it might just be one.
My vet is over two hours away and for what it is worth, I love my birds and would rather pay for an emergency visit to the vet rather than to gamble with their life. I just assume that you and everyone else that has a bird feels the same as I do.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby BabyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:37 am

Wolf wrote:I don't know, it could be very serious or not. Birds live in a flock, they do this to avoid predators, but if they get sick the flock kicks them out and will even peck them to death if they won't leave. This makes them very good at hiding any illness until they can not hide it any longer. By the time we start seeing symptoms of their illness they may only have a few hours to live. Sometimes they have longer but there is no way that we can know for sure. For this reason I treat every illness as an emergency as it might just be one.
My vet is over two hours away and for what it is worth, I love my birds and would rather pay for an emergency visit to the vet rather than to gamble with their life. I just assume that you and everyone else that has a bird feels the same as I do.

Okay. Thankyou. Ill see what I can do. :)
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Postby BabyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Wolf wrote:I don't know, it could be very serious or not. Birds live in a flock, they do this to avoid predators, but if they get sick the flock kicks them out and will even peck them to death if they won't leave. This makes them very good at hiding any illness until they can not hide it any longer. By the time we start seeing symptoms of their illness they may only have a few hours to live. Sometimes they have longer but there is no way that we can know for sure. For this reason I treat every illness as an emergency as it might just be one.

Thanks so much, a quick phone call and the advice was, too much fatty seeds in her diet is causing the runny Poop and the feather blackening, so I've soaked some pellets in water and fed them to her and she is very happy with them.. Her poop is already looking a bit more solid. Thanks so much everyone
BabyBird
Cockatiel

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet