Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

SAD BORNAVIRUS RELATED DEATH,

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: SAD BORNAVIRUS RELATED DEATH,

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 am

As much as it may hurt to talk about the passing of Hide, it may be helpful and healing as well ,but you are the only one that can make that choice, but I want you to know that we are here for you anytime that you need someone to talk to.

Concerning Cain, at least until you have more information about whether or not he may now be carrying this contagion, if you are going out and expect that you may come into contact with other birds, I would make certain to wash well first as it will help prevent the spread of this virus, and I would not allow any other bird into your home. Check with your vet about these and any other precautions that you may need to take as these two are generally recommended for everything but their may be others that need to be taken as well.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your great replies!

One issue that had been bothering me is I have been trying to rehome a common mynah I was given six months before I knew Hide had bornavirus. Our avian vet said that rehoming a mynah should be fine as it cannot pass on the illness since it only affects brids who have crops. I trust his judgement but would want others opinions on wheter rehoming the mynah would be safe for other birds that it may be rehomed with?

Thanks.

Also, Cain seems alright for now (touch wood), but has gotten ridculously clingy with me after Hide's death. Has anyone ever found this with birds after a mate dies?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:00 pm

HUH? I've never heard anything about bornavirus not affecting birds without a crop - it's passed on through the respiratory system so what does the crop have to do with it?. Also, the only birds I know that have no crop are geese and they do get bornavirus so I don't think that your vet is right on this. Also, what makes your avian vet think that mynahs don't have a crop? Has anybody heard of this before?

Yes, birds that lose their mates can become needier but then so do birds that don't feel so good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Pajarita wrote:HUH? I've never heard anything about bornavirus not affecting birds without a crop - it's passed on through the respiratory system so what does the crop have to do with it?. Also, the only birds I know that have no crop are geese and they do get bornavirus so I don't think that your vet is right on this. Also, what makes your avian vet think that mynahs don't have a crop? Has anybody heard of this before?

Yes, birds that lose their mates can become needier but then so do birds that don't feel so good.

Dunno, my vet reckoned they couldn't catch bornavirus, as I say I'm still on the fence about that.

As far as I've checked I've found everyone saying that Mynahs do not have crops, I have not found any evidence or scientificclaims to them having crops.

One of the main symptoms of bornavirus is a worryingly large crop after consuming large amounts of food, mynahs do not have crops and so cannot have this symptom, this my be why the vet claimed the mynah could not contain bornavirus.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Wolf » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:50 pm

I found this article which may prove to be helpful and it does mention that mynah birds do not have crops although it is mainly about feeding.
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... eeding/904

As to whether mynahs can get bornavirus, I don't yet know and am looking for an answer to that, but based on the following link, I would think that they can get it.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/Bornavirus.htm

This next link suggests that bornavirus can infect any warm blooded animal including humans.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/3/2/97-0205_article

This next one also suggests that mynahs can be infected with the disease.

http://www.avianstudios.com/blog/update ... ornavirus/

Still can't find a specific reference for bornavirus in mynahs, but I think that you may enjoy this article.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/pdd.html
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:43 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose one of your babies, they become a part of us, loosing them is truly heartbreaking. I feel your pain.
For a half week my family and I had an Alexandrine who we'd brought into our home, he/she was still a baby who we got, she was deformed, twisted beak, could not fly and curled stiff feet. We had her four days with her 24/7 and then one night she seemed sick, half hour after noticing she died. My Mum, brother and I sat with her for about 25 minutes as she had strokes, snapping her head back then whimpering as you described your baby doing, we were trying to figure out what to do, we were going to take her to a vet, it was 8pm and were going to call one in, but Dad was at work and my sister was waiting to be picked up, there was no way to make it in time. So my Mum and my brother walked out the door crying to go pick up my sister, we all knew she would not make it, that hurt the most, I listened to them shut the car door and then I looked down and saw she was gone, I lost it then, just like that in so few minutes and she had gone. I was crying all night. I got teary at your firt post, because I really understand how bad you are hurting, and I am teary again as I write this, because I remember so clearly loosing our girl. I was only able to find peace in knowing she was not suffering anymore. I had no idea what had happened/ why she got ill so suddenly, nor did I find out, so thank you for posting this.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:26 am

I learned something new! I did not know that mynahs have no crop. I wonder why...

But, in any case, geese get it and they don't have crops so the 'no crop, no bornavirus' theory doesn't 'hold'.

See these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23581438

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/21/12/15-0650_article
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mazon » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Hello everyone. New to the forum but I was looking for information on Bornavirus and came accross this forum and post. I am hoping to get some guidance and support. I just found out my Mako (Sun Conure) has Bornavirus. At first I thought he was just being clumsy especially since he likes to walk upside down and hang from his cage being a clown. He would fall once in a while. Then he started to self mutilate. He literally bore a hole in his crop, but with medication and TLC he recovered from that and his feathers grew back and all. He was the same lil clown I love again. However over time, out he was falling more and more. He now is self mutilating his knee, and barely can hold a perch or balance himself. Dr kept him over a period of few days and thats when he advised he has bornavirus. Flapping wings like seizure and clumsy losing grip on perches.

His Dr suggested that I keep him in an acrylic container and clip his wings to prevent him from injuring himself and falling constantly. Plus that his condition will get worse over time. I feel this is no way for a bird to live, but I feel bad to have to make "the" decision that has been presented in the terms of no longer having him suffer. Keep him a live in a plastic container or put him to sleep. I was told there is no cure. Should I let him live his life in a container not be his clowny self hanging in his cage? until such time the virus is too much or grabs hold of his gastro system?

I was looking for some support that I make the right decision and not be selfish but I don't feel right ending the life of my little buddy.

:sun: :cry:
mazon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conures

Postby liz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 am

What a terrible situation. I have had to help my little ones time to time. If there is no cure and no hope of remission there is only one solution. It is selfish to need to keep them alive.

I am cronic and have outlived many around me with the same illness. There have been times when I wished I could be helped out of my misery. GOD always pulls me through.

It is hard to give up some one you love. As with many of my family members which have gone ahead of me "to glory" I have had to accept that they do not hurt anymore and that I should be ashamed of my self for mourning my loss.

I believe that every living thing has a soul is why it is living. One of the very few things my last husband told me that was comforting is that they have to go to heaven or it would not be my heaven.

Hold him while you help him pass. Don't cry until after he is gone. He will get confused as to why you are crying.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 am

Oh, geez, I am sooooo sorry, my dear! What a terrible thing to go through! PDD is a TERRIBLE disease! It's not only that there is no cure, it's that even with all the medication, care and special diet you can give, they still suffer. So, it's not just a matter of him having to live the short rest of his life in a box, it's that he will be in pain as well as terrible emotional distress and that's no life for a bird! If you love him, let him go. You might not be able to hold him because, with the little ones, they usually put them down by giving them too much anesthesia (gas] in a box but you can be right next to him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet