Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Great to hear from you, Chad, and Robert is looking wonderful! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now, as usual, I am the balloon popper in the bunch and have a few suggestions to make based on the videos.

Video 1: Please, please, please, do not handle a macaw the way you would a puppy. I don't know whose hands those were in the video but you do not touch a parrot's stomach (NOT EVER!) and you do not antagonize it that way, either. He was not happy on that video and you got away with it because he is still a baby but he will grow up and that handling is going to have real bad consequences once he is a mature adult and hormonal.

Video 2: Please make sure that the parts of his toys are not small enough for him to swallow and choke on - that ball he pulled out of the toy fit perfectly inside his beak and that's dangerous.

Video 3: You need to make the water deeper in the dish, he could only dip the mere tip of her beak in it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby chad84 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 am

Got some bad news.
Robert flew away again.
last night around 7pm. He sleeps in our bedroom as you know. As I opened the cage to bring him inside he got startled by fireworks and flew off into the night. I ran inside to get the electronic gate key and when I came back out, I could not find him in the darkness.
We searched for him this morning at dawn and we are going back out to search for him now (9:45am).
I have cried and cried.
Can't find my prince Robert anywhere.
chad84
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Oh, geez, soooo sorry to hear that! Keep on looking, I bet he is not that far away (but look in a radius of 5 miles, at least). And let us know how it goes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 pm

I hope you find him soon.

Is he microchipped.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 am

No, not again, you were very lucky to get him back the last time due to the high voltage power lines, I hope that there are not any of them in the area this time. I don't think that he will go too far, but he could easily get lost and not know which direction his home is in which could cause him to stray further from home. You and he have been through so much together, I hope that you find him safely very soon.

As an aside and one of those pieces of advice that arrive after they are actually needed, you really may want to consider fixing your windows with screens or something so that he can not go through them if he gats startled, which is one of the most common reasons for a bird to get lost. Trying to think ahead and being prepared for things such as this so as to prevent them can be a difficult challenge as we don't often think in the same terms as our birds do.

Good luck on finding him and getting him back safely and please keep us informed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby chad84 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:55 am

Good morning guys. Prince Robert is back. I type this with tears in my eyes. I don't have much time this morning so I will summarize and elaborate later.

He flew away 30 December 2016 because of fireworks.
Someone had him and didn't wanna give him back on 22 February 2017.
He flew away from them because he wouldn't let them cut his wings on 11 September 2017.
On 5 October 2017 he returned home... weak, scrawny and scared.
Today, he looks so much better.

Thanks to my wife with put fresh Harrison's High Potency pellets, fruits, veggies, nuts and water every single day for 278 days. Most days I felt sad as I felt he wouldn't come back. When the other person had him and didn't wanna release him, I was devastated. Felt sorta relieved when he flew away from them.

He back...

The prodigal son has returned!

Welcome back Prince Robert!!
chad84
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am

Oh WOW!!! GREAT NEWS!!! So glad he found his way back! Now, if I may make a suggestion? Please make sure you have his leg band number written down somewhere and, if you have a chance, get him microchipped, too! I don't like microchips and none of my animals have them (well, except the ones that came from rescues that automatically put them in] but they are the best identification a bird can have as bands can be removed...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 am

He sounds like the real life paulie
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet