Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Baby Green Wing macaw refusing formula at 11 weeks old

Postby chad84 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Goodnight guys, it's Thursday night (09 June 2016) and I have those long awaited updates.

Today marks the 5th day that Robert is eating without problems or issues.
Here's what happened.

Thursday 02 June 2016:
Robert gave so much trouble to eat on this day. Fed him 3 times and he regurgitated almost all of the formula and I felt so desolate. I eventually cried that night. My wife and I felt so stressed we had to pry his beak open to feed him and them he just brought the food up. After seeking advice from vets (useless) and forum members (positive) we decided that from the next day would offer him many things.

Friday 03 June 2016:
We offered him fresh chop, whole grain penne and water. We left some in his cages and also on my work desk and in the kitchen. He ran it through his beak but didn't eat. Made all the yummy noises and all. He just stared at me as if I should have been able to know what he needed. He just followed me around and whimpered but no begging for food. In the late evening my wife was eating yogurt and offered him some warmed to 108 f. He ate just under 1 ml. At this point he had been hungry all day, about 12 hrs.

Saturday 04 June 2016:
Around 24 - 30hrs of not eating. Woke up early and cooked some gloop (bananas, broccoli, carrots, corn, lentils, oats, quinoa) for him. Cooled some and put in a bowl and I started eating it (with 'yummy' noises of course!). He came over to investigate what all this fuss was about and took the spoon from me making a mess. He ate 2 tablespoons of it and wanted no more. I was so relieved he ate so I didn't force him. An hour later the wife and I kissed him up and he begged for food again. I decided to make some Harrison's formula and offer him the syringe and see if he would like it. He didn't open up and my heart sank. But I opened his beak gently and he gave a feeding response and ate the entire 60 ml of formula. We cried with joy. He too was happy. At lunch he ate another 60 ml with no feeding response but he willingly ate the entire 60 ml but he took his time. At night my wife suggested that I puree the gloop. So we went to the appliance store and bought a NutriBullet. That thing is super amazing. It made all the ingredients into a thick liquid. Left the banana out as it is very perishable. So the broccoli, carrots, corn, lentils, oats and quinoa became so smooth. Poured out 60 ml, warmed it to 110f and put it at his beak. Upon squirt some in his mouth, it disappeared. In 20 secs the syringe was empty. He ate it all! We were so happy. During this day the wife and I completed his outside cage.

Sunday 05 June 2016:
He ate gloop puree all day. 90 ml servings went down his beak instantly at each feeding of the 3 feedings. His feeding response was so strong I could hardly hold the syringe. He also started slowing raising and lowering his head (slowly bobbing motion) AND honking with wing flips. He called for us all day long.
I came up with some feeding schedules to mix things up for the coming days.

Monday 06 - Thursday 09 June 2016 (4 days):
We fed him,
First feeding will be formula + carrot puree + bananas
Second feeding will be formula + carrot puree + papaya
Third feeding will be formula + carrot puree + broccoli
All my gloop ingredients for depleted. His food bowls had Water and Chop (changed 2 times a day). he had his formula cocktails 3 times a day and in between meals he actually went straight to the chop bowl and 'ate' some. Right after feeding, once his bowls were available, he would 'eat' (read play) some chop, then drink some water.
Towards the end of this 4 day period, Robert has become very playful, more obedient, he has started stepping up and seem so full of energy. Even more than his normal self. He doesn't even fuss to go into his cage anymore. We moved all his toys to his new cage and moved his food bowls. He begs for food 3 times a day and eats 60 - 90 ml without us forcing him. He simply opens his mouth once I pick up the syringe and swallows like he hasn't eaten in days.
Robert lay on his back for the first time tonight. I fed him and he came to me and threw himself down.

A month from now, when all his Harrison's formula is finished:
We plan to start giving him pureed gloop for 1st meal (by spoon) and puree Harrison's High Potency pellets for his last meal (by spoon). During the day in his bowls he will have gloop (NOT pureed) and dry Harrison's pellets. This way he will be eating the same thing fed by spoon and in his bowls. And a little closer to weaning.
chad84
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:39 am

I am so glad to hear of the improvements in Robert's feeding responses and that he is eating now without the regurgitation. I can see what you are attempting to accomplish by providing both the gloop and pellets at the same time. Some birds will decide that they prefer the more natural foods in the gloop but many of them will gravitate towards the pellets and quit eating the gloop. This has more to do with the amount of protein in the pellets than anything else and this can lead to problems further down the road. I would reserve the pellets for his evening meal and continue to reduce the dependence on the syringe feedings so that he develops a strong natural feeding response.

Other than these two suggestions, I think that you and Robert are making wonderful progress. Keep up the good work, and please keep us informed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:04 am

So glad to hear that he is doing better! YAAAAAYYYYY! :danicing:

And yours seems like a good plan but, please, beware that you will have to play it by ear because, with parrots, our best thought-out plans have a way of not coming to fruition :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby chad84 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi guys, been awhile.
Robert is 21 weeks old. He eats about 180 - 240 ml a day. He began sometimes refusing his 12pm meal. But once he misses it, he is super hungry and eats over 120 ml for the next feeding. He seems to be in the very best of health. Begs for food, gives feeding response sometimes but always eats all his food very hungrily. Sometimes he eats all in 3 secs sometimes he eats it in 30 secs.
Robert has become more loving and seeks attention all day long, constantly going between my wife and I.

Below are some videos for your viewing pleasure.

This is how he looks before eating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413RhCB3tDc

This is how he looks after eating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYxLxb2R7w

Was wondering why he still makes noises after he eats. They are different, but he is still very vocal after his meal.
chad84
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 pm

I do not want to seem pushy or rude, but how is Robert doing with eating without the syringe? Is he eating any fresh raw fruits and vegetables? I really feel that the more you can get him to eat in a normal manner that the better he will eat and feel and that it would help him with his feeding response.

I watched both of the videos that you posted and it may very well just be me and my lac of familiarity with macaws but something still just does not seem right to me and because I have never had or been around a macaw before I just can't put my finger on this. Maybe it is just that I have been so worried about him and all that he has been through, I don't know. Right now it is just something banging on the back of my mind and I don't know what or why.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby chad84 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Refer to previous post where I said I have to finish my last bag of Harrison's before I move to feeding gloop and pellets. I remarked that I would puree it for him and also give him chopped in his bowls.
So right now he is on formula 2 times a day and has gloop in one bowl, water in another and banana, sweet potato and apples in the 3rd bowl.

Robert doesn't know how to swallow anything that ins't in a syringe. He is 21 weeks old currently.

I offer him by spoon and he doesn't open his mouth for it. I eat food and he comes over for some and just crushes it to tiny pieces but never swallows. Even if I hand it to him. The issue is that Robert doesn't know how to eat. I am happy that he gets excited for formula. And I don't want to put additional stress on him as he eats his formula very well.

Remember he was ill for like 2 months, on medication for 2 months and regurgitating for 6 weeks straight.
I must say I am relieved he has regained his appetite, begs for food and is eating formula without regurgitating.
So I wanna take things slowly. I don't see myself stressing him out by doing anything to far from what I am currently doing.

Large baby macaws start weaning around 26 to 40 weeks old. Robert is 21 weeks old.

Tell me what steps I may take to introduce food and get him to swallow it.
chad84
Cockatiel

Postby chad84 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Wolf wrote:I watched both of the videos that you posted and it may very well just be me and my lac of familiarity with macaws but something still just does not seem right to me and because I have never had or been around a macaw before I just can't put my finger on this. Maybe it is just that I have been so worried about him and all that he has been through, I don't know. Right now it is just something banging on the back of my mind and I don't know what or why.

Now mind you, this is only his feeding behaviour. All through the day he flies all over the house and checks in regularly for cuddle time.

He sleeps 12 hrs a day.
chad84
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:53 pm

I understand and as to my feeling that something is not quite right I can offer no basis for it, it is just a gut level feeling and due to my own lack of knowledge could be wrong very easily.

I understand what Robert has been through and was mainly trying to find out if he was making any progress in eating more normally. I do want to encourage but I don't want to be pushy either. The only thing that I think I know about getting him to learn to swallow is to get him to open his beak for his syringe and then just putting the food in his beak. I am pretty sure that you have thought of that and are already doing that to some degree as I know that you can't do that all of the time until he does learn to swallow.

Anyway I really only intended to find out his progress in that area and to encourage you to keep trying. Sorry if it came off as more than that.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:16 am

Actually, for what I have read, large macaws, with the exception of Hyacinths, are weaned between 15 and 24 weeks of age but even if they wean later, it doesn't mean that they don't start eating on their own way before they actually wean.

I also don't like the way he is acting on the videos... I don't like the way his head moves up and down so softly and constantly as well as the lack of curiosity or interest in the camera. I cannot say it's his expression because parrots don't have expressions but there seems to be something missing, a lack of brightness in his eyes... It's like there is no spark there. Young birds never look so composed, they are constantly moving, curious, full of pep and he doesn't look that way at all.

I am sorry, I also don't want to alarm you but I don't think he is doing as well as he should be and the fact that he is not eating on his own or even looks remotely hungry on the video prior to his feeding is of concern to me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby chad84 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 am

Wolf wrote:I understand and as to my feeling that something is not quite right I can offer no basis for it, it is just a gut level feeling and due to my own lack of knowledge could be wrong very easily.

I understand what Robert has been through and was mainly trying to find out if he was making any progress in eating more normally. I do want to encourage but I don't want to be pushy either. The only thing that I think I know about getting him to learn to swallow is to get him to open his beak for his syringe and then just putting the food in his beak. I am pretty sure that you have thought of that and are already doing that to some degree as I know that you can't do that all of the time until he does learn to swallow.

Anyway I really only intended to find out his progress in that area and to encourage you to keep trying. Sorry if it came off as more than that.

Hey Wolf, I am not upset you know! I am very verbal and voice my opinions openly. *hugs and kisses*.
I always respect the opinions and advice I get from you and Pajarita.
Please don't feel bad.
chad84
Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet