Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Horrible Breeder

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Horrible Breeder

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 am

skeleo wrote:Thank you so much! That rescue looks lovely! But I've already found two parrots that I'm interested in. Pretty soon I'm going to be adopting two budgies from a person (on craigslist i think?) that lost interest in them. From what I saw, their living situation was less than fortunate. The owner only had them for a month before they decided to give them to a new home. Which confused me. They were originally from Petsmart ( :( ) and I doubt their owner handled them, so they'll probably be more difficult to tame. I just hope they don't have any health issues. I'll be taking them to the vet for a check up when I get them. To be honest, giving them a better life is more important to me than taming them. I'm very excited to get them! I should be bringing them home this week! :budgie:

Excellent news and an even better frame of mind when it comes to what is important and what is not! Kudos to you for putting their wellbeing first! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes and, if you can, please post a couple of pictures of them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby skeleo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 am

Okay thank you everyone! :D
skeleo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby EllenD » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I just happened to see this post and I clicked on it, not knowing where the breeder was or who they were...I live in State College, and I'm originally from Philipsburg, and I'm very aware of this shop in Huntington. I would have told you to NEVER acquire a bird from them as they have a history of selling sick babies that they have bred. And you already know why the babies are always getting sick-she is constantly going to bird shows, rescues, and hunting on Craigslist for new parrots to breed. She buys a lot of breeders, but typically trades her current birds for new birds to be breeders, and she doesn't quarantine any of the new birds ever. So they are constantly spreading diseases to the new babies because they are kept together, which is ridiculous anyway.

I was made aware of this shop because she tried to trade a sick parrot (I believe it was a Macaw) she had for an African Gray that a friend of mine had at a show in Baltimore. He had no idea where Huntington was, but when he found out he called me and asked me if I knew of the shop. I told him no, that there are really no bird shops or breeders in the State College area, and only a couple I know of in the Altoona area. Well it turns out she ended up trading her parrot to someone my friend knew, and that Macaw was not only I'll from multiple diseases, but had tons of emotional and behavioral issues as well. So yes, she knowingly sells and trades sick birds. Lovely. At the same time I have had numerous people recommend the shop to me recently. I have been selling cars in State College for the last 13 years and I sell a lot of people from Huntington. As soon as we start talking about pets and then my birds, they'll inevitably mention this shop.

One day I decided to check this place out since Huntington is only a 25 minute drive, and I thought I would at worst pick up a toy for the birds...I thought the shop was horribly dirty, especially around the bird cages. It smelled as well. I felt bad for any birds that belonged to them, and I then left, went home, and hugged my birds...
EllenD
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon-Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Blue Monk Parakeet
12 EnglishxAmerican Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:56 am

I know this is going to sound harsh and way too judgmental but, in my personal opinion, anybody who commercializes birds in any way (breeding, selling, flipping, whatever) couldn't possibly love them and, if you don't love them and your bottom line is profit, it's a given that the birds are going to be abused.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby skeleo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 am

That store is really awful. I wish that there was something I could do about it.

I adopted two cockatiels in August. I got them from a woman that didn't have time for them. They were in a small dirty cage. They're 4 or 5 years old. Their wings aren't clipped. She said that the female has laid eggs before, but they were never fertile. (not that im going to breed them lol) The two don't seem bonded, but they don't really fight with each other. The female is a cinnamon pearl, her name is Banana. The male is a normal gray and his name is Papaya. Papaya is very nice, he loves to be pet, and we whistle to each other. Banana is pretty hostile, but she steps up and sometimes lets me pet her. She has really bad pin feathers around her neck I feel bad for her. She also plucks under her wings, but I'm trying to help her. So far I've just given her some preening toys and talk or sing to her when she starts plucking. I'm basically with them all day and they're out of the cage all day because I'm home-schooled.

Banana and Papaya
skeleo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby EllenD » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:16 am

I agree that the bird store in Huntington is awful, and I'm very sorry you had to go through losing birds the way you did just because that woman breeds in unsanitary, filthy conditions with total disregard for her birds. It's a small world, but you know that she must be very bad if two of us on this forum have first hand experience with her trading/selling sick birds to breed. It's nice to have someone else here in this forum that lives in the same area, but too bad it's under such awful circumstances. I wish there was a way we could call attention locally to that shop.

Your cockatiels are very beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to give them a good home when their prior owner didn't want them. I'm guessing you haven't had them long, so it's very possible that the other bird that is being a bit hostile will come around to you in time, especially if she does let you pet her sometimes already. It always takes time when taking in adult birds.

The fact that she's molting and has pin feathers all over is probably a big part of why she is being hostile and doesn't want touched most of the time. If you touch pin feathers the wrong way it causes the bird extreme discomfort and pain, and pin feathers just make them grumpy anyway. My yellow-sided green cheek conure is molting right now and he looks like a scruffy little homeless bird, lol. This is his first molt as he's just under a year old, and he's not handling it well at all. He's a hand-raised bird and normally he's a sweetheart, always has been, but since the molting started he's being a bit of a jerk! He's coming to me for his normal scratches all the time, but when i scratch him he squawks, gives me dirty looks, and runs away!

Sometimes, if the feather is mature enough and the sheath is ready to come off, you can help them (if she'll let you) by rolling the white sheath of the pin feather between two fingers until it either falls apart completely, or until it cracks in half and then either you or the bird can pull it off. Does she like to take baths or showers? If so this will help her immensely. A warm bath or shower once a day during a molt will speed up the process by getting rid of old feathers, helping the keratin sheath around pin feathers to break down, and the water and heat itself will make your bird feel a lot better by stopping the itching and soothing their skin. The warm water will soften up the hard, prickly pin feathers.

I would try putting a dish of warm water in your bird's cage or near it's play area if it's out of it's cage and see if she'll go in voluntarily and give herself a bath. Only leave the dish of water in her cage or out for an hour at the very most. If she won't give herself a bath voluntarily you can try to take her in the shower with you, sometimes they like that better because you're doing it with them. I have a perch that sticks to the wall inside my shower that is out of the way of the water, so they get in when I get in, but they sit and watch me, enjoy the steam, and stay out of the hot water and soap/shampoo that I use. Then when I'm completely finished I'll make the water a little cooler than I use (I love really hot water and birds need the water warm at most) and I'll make sure all the soap, shampoo, and any other products are closed up and washed away so the birds don't get any on them or potentially drink any soapy water. Then I'll get one bird at a time on my finger and put them under the shower, right at the edge of the shower stream. Some birds like a full stream of water, like my Quaker, and will go completely under the shower stream, actually bathing themselves. My Quaker loves water and he goes head first under the shower, completely drenching himself while singing and talking. He has complete conversations with himself while he's under the shower bathing himself. My green cheek conure on the other hand will stand on my finger and very quickly stick his head under, then his tail, back, foot, etc. all one at a time. He actually prefers a bath, and during this first molt he's going through now he's been giving himself a bath in the large metal water bowls I attached to his PVC T-Stands and the huge PVC bird gym/playland I built them. He baths multiple times a day in each bowl he goes to. It seems to be helping him a lot.

The other thing that may help your cockatiel, if she won't let you touch her to get the sheaths off the pin feathers and she won't take a bath is to go to the pet store (I know Petco has this) and buy a molt-ease spray or a bird-safe aloe vera spray. As I stated I know Petco sells a molt-ease spray made by Ecotrition that I have used on my Quaker, my green cheek, my cockatiel (she won't bathe at all), and my budgies when they're molting, and it definitely does make them more comfortable. It also seems to speed up the molt and help with dry skin because I can notice the difference on their feet. You can spray them with it gently from a bit of a distance, being extremely careful not to get it in their eyes, and using it sparingly, like one spray per area of feathers. I think the Ecotrition molt ease spray costs around $10 a bottle (which lasts forever), and it's on the shelf in the bird section next to the bath tubs that hook to cages, the bedding for birds made out of walnut shells and corn cobs, the cage and fabric cleaners for bird poop (right next to the Poop-Off!), and next to the bird toe-nail scissors and qwik stop.

I hope that helps a bit, and if there is anything you ever need or that I can help with don't hesitate to send me a message. Like I said I'm in State College, so I'm close, and I have 30 years of bird owning and breeding experience, so if you ever have a problem with your bird's I am more than willing to help. I also have a really great certified avian vet here in State College that I would highly recommend, we're very lucky to have him here. We also have a 24-hour, 7-day a week animal hospital with an emergency room. They are wonderful as well, they are on Martin Street in State College and they have multiple vets on call at all times that specialize in dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, small animals like hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets, etc. and farm animals and horses. I have unfortunately been there twice, once for my 13 year old pug who went into kidney failure on Christmas day, and once for my green cheek conure who fell off of my shower curtain rod while I was taking a shower and broke his wing. They saved my dog's life by immediately giving him IV fluids and medications and by running the right tests (they have a full lab on site), and I got another two years with him. They had to anesthetize my green cheek, did x-rays, diagnosed the broken wing and ruled out other injuries, put him in a special wing splint/sling and an E-Collar, and they made sure he was well medicated and not in any pain for the weeks he had to wear the splint and collar. Today he flies without any issues at all.
EllenD
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon-Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Blue Monk Parakeet
12 EnglishxAmerican Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Congratulations on your two new friends and thank you so much for adopting birds in need instead of buying from a store or a breeder!

Now, I would not recommend using warm bath water for any bird. For one thing, they all seem to prefer cold water (even during the winter when they water from the faucet is REALLY cold) but, for another, warm water strips the natural oils from their feathers and skin, something that can lead to plucking.

In my personal experience, cockatiels like to bathe in the rain so spraying from above usually does the trick BUT rain brings them into breeding condition so it's not recommended you do it more often than once a month outside of breeding season (they are extremely opportunistic breeders!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 am

Pajarita wrote:I know this is going to sound harsh and way too judgmental but, in my personal opinion, anybody who commercializes birds in any way (breeding, selling, flipping, whatever) couldn't possibly love them and, if you don't love them and your bottom line is profit, it's a given that the birds are going to be abused.

Many say they love their birds but really mean that they love their posestions. Any one who looks at a little being and sees the money value does not love parrots. My neighbor had Rambo for many years and treated him like her baby. After being married for 11 years with no human babies she decided to give up her responsibilities to make room for her baby. She was going to sell Rambo. I knew nothing about parrots but took him from her. I knew very little about Rambo other than he talked and walked through the house as if he owned it. I took Rambo, Curley a cockatiel and Katie a Chihuahua from her so they would not get in the pass around circle.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 pm

I agree 100%, Liz. They say they love their animals but, in reality, what they love is what their animals give them or do for them, not the animal itself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am

I am really discusted by it but my daughter is one of those humans. I check every day that they have food and water. I give them attention to check them out too. Even the barn needs checked to make sure she is cleaning the stalls.

My son on the other hand calls his two dogs his girls. Sometimes his bad girls (they are diggers). They are his children in every way than being human. They are happy and well balanced as opposed to Rachel's who come to me when they need something.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet