Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Parrot died suddently - Getting a necropsy tomorrow

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

My Parrot died suddently - Getting a necropsy tomorrow

Postby DinoTheLori » Sun May 22, 2016 10:29 pm

:rainbow:
:rainbow:
My life was forever changed drastically yesterday. I'm still in shock.
My little precious Baby Dino started throwing up on Wednesday. Before then, there was no sign of illness. I took him yesterday to the vet. My vets VCA turn me down, because they stop not seeing birds, the last time I was there was 2012 with Dino. They referred me to go the Exotic Animal Care in Pasadena. Dino looked OK and try to hold up. The Exotic Animal turn me down, because they didn't had any availability yesterday and Dino's doesn't seem like an emergency. They gave me 3x phone numbers from other Bird vets. I call them all - with Dino in my car, after getting turned down. All the sudden Dino's conditions change. Within 20mins he got weaker and weaker and he couldn't lift his little head to drink/eat, he couldn't stand on his feet either. At that point i have called already 10 vets and all of them turn me down. The next available apt. was today at 10am in Glendale. I called back exotic animal care vet. Told them, they have to see Dino now!!! It's an emergency. They say they could give me an appointment for today at 11am as an emergency. Dino died yesterday 30mins after leaving the Exotic vet. It was horrible. What an horrible day! I had to watch him die and couldn't do anything, he fought for his life and screamed and cried and then stop moving with his eyes wide open.
After that I started hyperventilating, crying and screaming myself.
I can't believe my precious baby is gone all the sudden.

My house is now so quiet. So dead. No live. No Dino. I'm all alone.
Dino wasn't just a pet bird. He was my best friend and my companion. He was all I had. He talked to me all day long, called me mom, and he was just a delight and a bundle of joy to have in my life for the past 6 years. I can't believe he is gone forever! I don't know why he died. He was just 6 years old!!! He could have live till 36. I loved him so so so much. More then anything else on this world. And i miss him now so so so much. Nothing can express in words what I'm feeling right now.

I'm now so lost and sad and depress and grieving.
Thank you all who called and text and command. This is the biggest loss I have ever experience in my entire life.

Oh God this is sooo painful..... this hurts so bad...... Life has lost it purpose.
I have Dino's body in the freezer now. I was thinking about getting an autopsy. Anyone has experience this ?
The hardest part was losing you and now learning to live without you is harder.

Dino had a Facebook page, I would like to share with you. I had him for 6years and these 6 years were years full of joy. Dino didn't think he was a bird. He thought he was a human and I treated him that way. He was never lock up in his cage. He was a free and very happy bird. He knew that he was loved.
We had so much fun together. I was so proud of him.
He poops on command and talks and did lots of tricks.
He was my little angel.
https://www.facebook.com/DINO-the-LORI-214765368599165/ :rainbow:
DinoTheLori
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lori
Flight: Yes

Re: My Parrot died suddently - Getting a necropsy tomorrow

Postby Chantilly » Mon May 23, 2016 4:57 am

loosing a parrot is like having a big chunk taken out of your heart, it takes a long time to heal, whether you fill in that hole with something new or let it grow into a scar.
I can see that you did everything you possibly did for your little boy Dino, this is not at all your fault, I had a look at your Facebook page and I can see how important he was to you and that you gave him a very good, fun life.
You loved him to bits, and he you. In general a lorikeet only lives 9years in captivity, you did well with him.
Although I cant say why he died, and have no experience about neurocropsies, or any of that, I really understand how you are feeling right now, everyone who has the big heart and compassion for a pet understands your pain. They become such a huge part of our lives and when they leave us, we just feel pain for days. My best wishes to you, and my deepest condolances.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby liz » Mon May 23, 2016 7:43 am

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. When we loose a bird it is as bad as having your toddler die. There is no remedy for the pain and no one gets used to it

I know it is the last thing you want to here right now but don't let your love go to waste. There are so many little birds out there who need help.
None will replace you baby. You will not be cheating on your baby by trying to love another. None will fill the hole in your life. I know from personally that you will never really get over your loss. I have scars on my heart. It has healed but I still feel the scars. You may want to sterilize and put his toys away for a while.

Honor your baby by helping another.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 23, 2016 9:10 am

So sorry for your loss, my dear. Only bird people understand the depth of our feelings for them... Yes, do have a necropsy done (wrap the body in a wet paper towel, it's better for the necropsy). I always do when something like this happens... otherwise I always wonder.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mmeager » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 am

Damn. I am so so sorry for you, I have tears in my eyes because I truly understand your pain, it hurts like hell. I don't know what to say, because words wont take the pain away, but time will help. Just remember your best friend will still always be with you, and please believe that. I have also recently lost my bird, and call me crazy, but he has visited me in my dreams, and he is still with me.
People who haven't had the experience of accepting a bird into their soul don't understand how important that bird becomes to your life, and from my experience there are many people here who do actually understand, so I truly hope this forum can help with your distress.

Yes, you really should get an autopsy done, I know its horrible, and the last thing you would want to happen. But, it will not only give you answers (which does help) But it will also provide others, especially Avarian medical science, information which may possibly be used to save many birds in the future.

Unfortunately for us, birds will always hide their sickness, its their nature, often until its too late for us to actually do anything about it. Which makes medical intervention extremely difficult.
pls feel free to pm me anytime about your loss.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby ms pato » Tue May 31, 2016 6:59 am

I'm so sorry. I pray you find it easy to move on, I know it's hard. Our heart goes out to you. So sorry
ms pato
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: African senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby galeriagila » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I just saw this thread. Please, please accept my belated sympathy. Losing a parrot is unlike losing any other animal, although all losses are surely unique and awful. When my Mother passed away, someone wrote this for me... I hope it helps.

"May the sadness of losing her soon be outweighed by the joy of having had her in your life".
galeriagila
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Vmax3000 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:53 pm

My eyes filled with tears and my heart was heavy upon reading your post. I'm new here, so I just want to express my deepest sympathies. If it isn't to painful, or gruesome, please share the results of Dino's necropsy. Hugs from me and my little zoo. :cockatiel:
Vmax3000
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided green cheek conure & black capped conure

Postby DinoTheLori » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you for your sweet words and support.
It's been two weeks now since DINO died.
I'm still grieving over his loss.

I'm trying to get this story into the news.
I'm looking for legal actions for the vet that didn't see him and turn us away.
All we needed was just 10mins of the Doctors time.
See attachment.
If anyone works or know or could forward this story to media / news outlet's I will appreciate it.
my email: cvp1977@live.com

https://www.facebook.com/DINO-the-LORI-214765368599165/?ref=bookmarks
DinoTheLori
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lori

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:02 am

I wish you the best of luck with this from the bottom of my heart but birds are property as far as the law goes and a vet has no legal obligation to treat them. It's not the same as a sick human and a doctor... And that's precisely the reason why the laws need to be changed making companion animals something different than a table or a chair.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet