Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does anyone addpowered vitamins to the birds food?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Does anyone addpowered vitamins to the birds food?

Postby RudysMom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm

I'am debateing on should I add vitamins to my flocks food or not,first of all my female quaker is not the best veggie eater she only takes a few bites of veggies then she is done , the other 3 are iffy some times they eat good and sometimes not , so I should add vitamins or not? and what brand of vitamins do you use? :senegal:
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Opey ...green quaker Rudy...TAG Cody....CAG
Squiggy.....GCC and Blueberry blue female quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Does anyone addpowered vitamins to the birds food?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Generally, the vitamins are to be added to the water rather than the food, and they do make it even more prone to contamination.

If you are feeding pellets or another commercial formulated diet in addition to the fresh food, and your bird eats that, you are probably doing the best you can. Or at least that's what I've been told.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Entranced is correct. There is no need for vitamins if you feed a good diet. Never add anything to their water.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby issy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 am

The Food that I buy Sheldon has vitamins and minerals already added to it, so I don't add any.

Try cutting up vegetables into very tiny pieces and mixing it up with the food. Sheldon was really fussy about vegetables and now he eats all that's in his food bowl XD
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:48 am

i dont had it to his water, he has one of the berry flavord mineral blocks and a cuttlefish. my budgies is on a grain diet with chickweed and fresh fruits and vergetables (and millet when training comes)

and he is bright and energetic (my budgie i had before that was on a seed diet) wasn't nearly has active as my budgie is now

so as budgies are grain eaters naturally its just finding the right balance and getting it as close as u can to its natural diet (for what ever bird you have)

thats my opinion
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sun May 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I don't add vitamins and minerals supplement to my parrot's food nor water. I feed her spirulina powder, barley grass powder and bee pollen on regular basis. They are nutrients packed.
The problem with natural food, they may not have all the minerals that a bird needs for optimum health. Plants get their minerals from the soil. Commercial farming depletes the soil of minerals.
Plants can manufacture vitamins not minerals. Therefore supplementation is necessary.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby kellybird » Sun May 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi I am one of those that "do" add powered vitamins to my birds water. I had acutally stopped it a while back (I do not know why, probably just lack of purchasing them) my birds have been back on nexton -s I belive it is for several months now. My birds are on a seed/veggie diet and only because that is what they were used to when I either adopted them or purchased them. I did try the pellets and they would rather starve to death than eat them. I give them lots of "fresh" fruits and veggies also. There seed diet does have vitamins in the mix but I have always heard that they do not get the nutrition out of the vitamins because they are on the shell of the seed or nut and they do not eat the shell. What are all of your opinions on this? Do you really think the vitamins in the water is a waste of money. I do change all my birds water daily and twice daily if it becomes hot out and they have soiled or put food in their water dishes.
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet