Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

droppings

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

droppings

Postby kimbo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:18 pm

my senegal chico has today had different coloured droppngs orange and red (not blood) back to orange again. have googled it and it said it is food that causes it. but i havnt changed his food. he has been chewing wood toys both red and orange, would that do it. im pretty worried about it all. there was urine in it and that was same colour as poop though lighter in colour. anyone shed any light on it. he has been eating and drinking as normal and playing and sleeping as well. he does have red pellets in his food which he likes. but we all know parrots can hide illness.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: droppings

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I would take away all the red and orange colored foods and toys for a little while. If his dropping were still a funny color after he'd pooped several more times, I'd probably phone my vet. I know Scooter's droppings can be quite violently red or purple after he's eaten berries, but it usually clears up several poops after he has finished the berries.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby kimbo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:40 pm

thanks for the help. hes abed at this time so will check on poop in the morning. if its still the same will phone the vet. hes not soiled underneath and poop is normal shape and size. worrying though. was teaching him to put an object in a cup tonight and i think we are getting there.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm

It's the toys. I was once freaking out when Kili had yellow or purple droppings but it's just the food dye coming through.

Bad poop is usually a different consistency rather than color (too wet, too dry, etc).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm

ok will check poop in the morning, if its still same will phone vet.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby phutch » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:34 pm

If I could, I would suggest giving a natural color pelleted food. The multi-colored stuff is nothing more than the equivalent of Fruit Loops that we feed our kids.

Sickness in our birds manifests "usually" in the poop first; but not always, if you feed m/c'd food it is a constant. That being said, various fruits and veggies can cause this too, but you would be quicker to say that after a couple of poops it will return to a more normal color/consistency. :)
phutch
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins cockatoo
Yellow Collared Mini Macaw
African Grey

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet