Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does this look like Gout or Broken leg?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Does this look like Gout or Broken leg?

Postby rachelwink » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 am

Hello everyone,

Currently new to this forum, anyway i've noticed my purple crowned lorikeet's right leg is severly swollen and he is holding it on an angle, i am unable to get to a vet until tomorrow afternoon but wondering if anyone could offer suggestions as to what this could be as i'm feeling pretty worried for him or anyways i could help him until tomorrow
Attachments
5.png
5.png (106.09 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
4.png
4.png (80.66 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
3.png
3.png (96.41 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
2.png
2.png (159.03 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
1.png
1.png (78.07 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
rachelwink
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Lorikeet
Budgie
Ringneck
Lovebirds
Cockatiels
Finches
Canaries
Java Finches
Bourke Parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: Does this look like Gout or Broken leg?

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 am

I can't tell what it is with any certainty, but I would find a way to get the bird in to see an avian vet right away. I don't know why you can't get him in until tomorrow afternoon so I am somewhat hesitant to say much. Many avian vets do have emergency arrangements and facilities if you press them a little, if that is the problem. Maybe it is because of a lack of transportation, but if that is the problem I would find some way to get the bird in without waiting, just as I would do if it were a child that I was responsible for.. Perhaps it is a financial issue, but some vet will take payments and it is worth trying to work that out if this is the problem. I don't know why the wait is necessary but I would do everything that I could to get around having to wait that long. not meaning to be harsh, or critical, just trying to help find a way to speed up this process for the bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:10 am

It looks more like bumble foot than gout.... I've only had one bird with gout, Precie, a female YNA which came to me at 32 years of age and which had not eaten a good diet for a looooong time and what she had (she no longer has swollen joints although it took quite a long time for the inflammation to disappear) was all the joints in both her feet a bit swollen but there was no redness as your bird has and there wasn't anything on the soles of her feet (the color was the same, only the joints themselves were 'thicker'). But, in any case, you really need to take that bird to the vet because her poor feet (both look to have the same problem although one looks much worse than the other one) must be terribly painful! What I would do immediately is give her soft surfaces to perch so as to minimize the pain...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Did you get your bird to the vet? Soaking it's little feet in 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt to 1 gallon of warm water will help , then cleaning with peroxide . Don't let bird drink any of Either!!! Address diet lack of vitamin D from no sunlight and perching on wrong size wood . These are some things if you haven't been to the doc yet. They look like there pretty infected to me. Probably will require an antibiotic.MUST see a vet ASAP . Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet