Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chance is sick?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Chance is sick?

Postby GreenWing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm scared. My fiance is visiting and he gave Chance some cooked chicken made the previous night, while I was at work. The chicken was fine, cooked with herbs and nobody got sick from it. Chance ate all of the chicken, I didn't see my fiance give it to her but there are no signs of any chicken in her dish or cage, she must have eaten every scrap. But now she has diarrhea.

Does she just have an upset stomach or is this serious? I don't see any blood or black stool. I have never experienced this before.

She was a bit bitey today but I'm not really seeing anything else...

To be updated.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Chance is sick?

Postby liz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:26 am

She was bitey because she is hurting. What made your boyfriend think a bird should be fed chicken? If she has not improved by the time you read this post take her to I would take it to the the vet.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:35 am

I really don't think that this should create much of an issue other than the loose poops that you have already observed and that should pass pretty quickly. I know that with most humans and other animals that a short period of diarrhea is a normal response to a sudden change in food or even water. The increase in aggressiveness is probably due to the increased protein and should also pass pretty soon.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:47 am

I don't feed animal proteins anymore because they cant really digest it as well as we can
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:26 am

It was the animal protein and fat that gave it diarrhea but keep an eye on the poops because, sometimes, you need to medicate or change the diet for a couple of days to stop the diarrhea (this is because diarrhea strips the natural enzymes and good bacteria from the intestinal tract and, even when the offensive food is no longer there, the diarrhea continues because of this - put him probiotics). And, PLEASE! tell your boyfriend NEVER to feed a herbivore meat! It's like feeding a hamburger to a horse! Nothing good can come of it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Pajarita wrote:It was the animal protein and fat that gave it diarrhea but keep an eye on the poops because, sometimes, you need to medicate or change the diet for a couple of days to stop the diarrhea (this is because diarrhea strips the natural enzymes and good bacteria from the intestinal tract and, even when the offensive food is no longer there, the diarrhea continues because of this - put him probiotics). And, PLEASE! tell your boyfriend NEVER to feed a herbivore meat! It's like feeding a hamburger to a horse! Nothing good can come of it!

Every Time I fed them chicken I'm glad they never ate it but they did eat egg when I gave it but no more and Tiko always did love to eat her chicken but my mam now knows whats best for her baby.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby GreenWing » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks everyone. Chance is okay. It seems Wolf was spot on, I called a vet and they said to monitor her, I turned up the heater for her, and it all passed within an hour. The chicken gave her a stomach ache, it seems. Poor Chance.

She's fine now, stools are normal, and she's getting a lot of extra love and is singing and talking a bunch. The incident had me so worried. I'm the only one allowed to feed her now.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet