Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pellets Yes or No?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Pellets Yes or No?

Postby pchela » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 am

I might just have a suspicious mind, but I believe any claim that a pellet is complete and should not be mixed with other foods is merely a way for the manufacturer of said pellets to get the customer to buy their food. The more of their food you buy the more money they make and if you are exclusively buying pellets and no other food then you will be buying more pellets. I also would not be surprised if they paid some vets to endorse their products and back up their claims. But again, I have a suspicious mind.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby bmsweb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:42 am

pchela wrote:any claim that a pellet is complete and should not be mixed with other foods is merely a way for the manufacturer of said pellets to get the customer to buy their food

I'm in agreement with you. I've only been using Pellets for less than a week and I'm making the soggy mixture like in the Vetafarms video and it seems to be working well. I've been watching the birds eat both the seeds and the pellets, so I see no reason to drop the seeds altogether.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby michelle&buddy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 am

Buddy will munch on pellets throughout the day. It is the only food "available all day" for him. He has set meals with me though, breakfast/lunch and dinner, where he gets other bird and human food (fruits, veggies, whatever I may be eating). He will have several pellet snacks a day inbetween meals, but definitely not his first choice :lol:
Last edited by michelle&buddy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michelle&buddy
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Little Corella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Scooter is very fond of his seed and grain mix, which contains no "junkfood" seeds and is premixed with some pellets. I put a layer of it under a layer of Roudybush pellets with some Nutriberries on the top. He only picks at the Nutriberries (he's not fond of peanut) and eats some of the pellets, but he has to work a bit to get at the goodies. He also eats a TON of fresh food. He will eat an amazing amount of fresh fruit and a fair number of veggies.

So, while intellectually I think pellets are probably "the right answer" I can't see that his diet is really bad in any way, so as long as the vet continues to evaluate him as healthy I don't plan to change, although I would like to make the seeds more of a foraging exercise and I'm working on that.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby localpigeon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:29 pm

I spent the entire afternoon today buying a great variety of fresh foods and organic grains and must say I have prepared a top class nutritious mash according to the recipe.

I just hope my birds eat it!

I'm planing to hide the junky fatty yummy seeds they in the mash so that they have to ay least taste it to get to them. Their first reaction was to ignore the mash completely when they first saw it...
localpigeon
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiels

Postby miajag » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:38 pm

It's funny how every bird has different tastes. My Quaker loves her pellets but won't touch sunflower seeds. I have to use small bits of peanut or almond as training treats.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby skthurley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

I too agree that a varied diet is best. I do believe that a balanced mash (like the recipe I posted at the beginning of this thread) with sprouted grains and pellets leads to a good diet for birds. Some days they eat more seeds, other days more fresh food, and other days more pellets. As long as they are eating abit of everything and looking bright and healthy, Im happy :)
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet