Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chilies

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Chilies

Postby Rmoses » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:45 am

Does anyone feed chilies to their parrots? Some of you may call them hot peppers
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Chilies

Postby Bird woman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 pm

My birds love, love , love all chilies. That is as far as I'm concerned a great food to feed. I grow different varieties and dry them. They also have medicinal and calming properties for fids. By the way welcome to the forum , I'm bird woman :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 pm

My birds also eat them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Yep, same here. I get the fresh and the dry ones (I reconstitute them and add them to the gloop): jalapenos, habaneros, chile de arbol, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 pm

I buy several kinds...
Poblanos, to stuff the end between the bars tightly (above a perch) so the Rbird can nibble at his leisure.
Jalapenos and Serranos, to toss into the cage's snack-bowl, to trick him into entering so I can shut the door. It's the only way I can get his flighted majesty in!
As has been mentioned, common wisdom is that parrots have such poor taste and smell that hot peppers really excite and stimulate them. And they're very healthy (lots of good green and great nutrents)! So I give the Rickeybird lots! The only downside... when he eats a pepper, then preens, then wants to cudddle, it's a very incendiary experience. I just posted a video of the bird eating one in the thread about beak flavors, and you can hear me sneezing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgd47hzWuo
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:19 pm

He is really going to town on that pepper - and for the seeds, which are always the hottest part! Funny thing is, when you sneezed, he seemed to eat faster as if he thought your sneeze was a sign you were going to take it away :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:30 am

Rainbow/Rambo does not like dried or frozen. She/he wants only fresh ones. Myrtle has not picked up on them yet.
I see yours prefers to eat on top of the cage like mine. They get maximum distance when they fling from up there.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet