Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Black Beak?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Black Beak?

Postby Mochipants » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:20 am

Hello all!
I'm a first time parrot-keeper so forgive me if this is a common issue. Google searching has failed me, however, so here I am!
I have a Plum-headed Parakeet who is about 6 months old. I have DNA confirmation that he's a boy. He's been very active and alert, with a healthy appetite. He is eating a 40/30/10/10/5/5 diet of seed, formula, pellet, fruits/vegetables, eggfood, treats/humanfood (cornflakes, cheerios, bread, or similar).
14908422_10155536877886509_4462643103452745114_n.jpg
14908422_10155536877886509_4462643103452745114_n.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 8643 times

His beak has two patches of darkness under the nares. They are symmetrical on both side of the beak. There is no change to texture and he exhibits no discomfort if I touch him there.
No images of Plum-head juveniles have this beak coloration, so I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I should be concerned.
Any opinions?
Thanks everyone!
Mochipants
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Plum-head Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Black Beak?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum. It looks like either a bruise or an infection. Beaks have a 'center' that is alive (it has blood vessels -kind of like the nail bed) which is the part that grows the layers of keratin that form the beak. Sometimes, a fungal or even bacterial infection forms right under the external layers of keratin... You need to take that baby to a vet to have him diagnosed and treated. Also, please reconsider his diet as what you are feeding is really not good at all for him. I don't mean to be harsh because I realize that you have no experience but, please, do more research because you can't feed a baby a diet of 80% protein and just 10% produce. Babies do need more protein than adults but never 80% - only carnivores eat that much protein. Also, there isn't a single parrot species that consumes eggs in the wild so eggfood is not good for them (it's animal protein and not vegetal which is what nature evolved them to eat). Furthermore, human cereals are all NO-NOs for birds because they all have too much iron (they are formulated based on human nutritional needs, not birds). Birds need very little iron (never more than 2% while human cereals have up to 45%) and, if you feed them too much of it, the excess goes into their liver damaging it (I have a sun conure that ended up with hemochromatosis from its owner feeding it cheerios, now she needs not only a special diet for the rest of her life but also supplements for her liver -I even had to have a special vitamin/mineral mix made for her).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Mochipants » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you very much Pajarita!
I did read about bruising and there is the possibility that one of my family members had him out and he injured himself, but they haven't mentioned any possible cause. I'll find an avian vet to get him checked.
Also, I will definitely do more research about his diet though it's not really 80% protein. The seed mix he has also has dried fruit and stuff in it, his formula is about 20% protein, and his pellet is 15% protein. I'll definitely remove the eggfood and increase fresh produce, and of course, reduce the cereals. Man does he like them though lol. Thank you for the information!
Mochipants
Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Welcome to the forum I also have a Male Plum headed parakeet
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby EllenD » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, and your baby is adorable! I'm assuming that you mean that both sides of his beak look like the side showing in your photo? As stated there is a blood supply in the beak, and it really does look like he bruised it. I'm also assuming you do not have any other birds, and that he hasn't been around any other birds? The reason I'm asking is because if those marks are symmetric to both sides of his beak, it would appear as bruising that is very common to another bird biting down on his beak (this is how both sides are bruised), or that he possibly got his beak stuck in something or shut in something like his cage door. Either way you definitely want to get him to a certified avian vet right away (an avian vet, not a general dog/cat vet) because if it's not a bruise then as already mentioned it's probably an infect of some kind, and as you may know birds hide illnesses and pain from injuries as long as they can, and by the time they show that they are sick or in pain they are very, very sick and it's often too late to save them. This is a function of survival in the wild, they do not want to appear weak to predators or to their flock.

While you are at the avian vet you really do need to speak to them about getting your boy on a proper diet, as what you are feeding him is not good at all. It's better to get him on a good, varied diet now when he's young and stick to it, before any long-term damage is done. The good news is that your bird eats pellets already, along with a variety of other foods, so transitioning him off of the seed shouldn't be difficult at all. Did you have him to an avian vet when you brought him home for a well-birdy checkup? You should always do this as soon as you bring a new bird home to make sure everything is going well and that the bird is free of parasites. It's especially a must if you're new to birds because they would have educated you on what a proper diet for him would be...I too am not trying to lecture you, but so many birds die young because of fatty liver disease and tons of other problems that could have been prevented if the bird had been fed properly. I would stop the cereal ASAP unless it's just one Cheerio as a treat once in a great while. The iron is horrible for them and can kill them, and too much sugar is not good either. But like I said make sure you talk to the avian vet about this, most will ask you what the bird's diet is if it is your first visit anyway, they want to correct it asap.

Good luck, and please do not wait to get your baby to the vet!
EllenD
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon-Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Blue Monk Parakeet
12 EnglishxAmerican Budgies

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:04 pm

She shouldn't have a problem with the diet Plum heads aren't picky eaters and will eat just about anything given though I can get mine to eat anything but pellets lol still trying in different shapes etc
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Mochipants » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks EllenD and ParrotsForLife!
I've already made an appointment for Monday unless you think I should go in sooner?
And yes, he eats just about everything he can get his beak on. It's surprising how fast he appears next to food when there's some sitting out LOL. I will adjust his diet.
There aren't any other birds in the house. There's a toy poodle, but that guy's terrified of everything never mind coming anywhere near the bird.
My family members may not have been watching him very closely and he may have hit a window or something. I'll ask the vet.
Thank again for everyone's help! Any other opinions or helpful advice?
Mochipants
Parakeet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:02 am

Just a little facts about Plum headed parakeets, They can be very shy and they are not very picky eaters they seem to love Apples and Grapes and I have heard the same about Indian ringnecks.They are very friendly and docile and get along well with other birds like Cockatiels and they can be very quiet but also noisy but I think they're sounds are very nice to hear especially when you just want to relax and listen.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 am

Mochipants wrote:Thank you very much Pajarita!
I did read about bruising and there is the possibility that one of my family members had him out and he injured himself, but they haven't mentioned any possible cause. I'll find an avian vet to get him checked.
Also, I will definitely do more research about his diet though it's not really 80% protein. The seed mix he has also has dried fruit and stuff in it, his formula is about 20% protein, and his pellet is 15% protein. I'll definitely remove the eggfood and increase fresh produce, and of course, reduce the cereals. Man does he like them though lol. Thank you for the information!

I did not put that correctly, I should have said 80% of his diet is protein food (pellets, seeds, formula, eggfood). In any case, I don't know which pellets you are feeding but there isn't a single brand that gives you an exact protein level, they all say "minimum something" or "no less than something" so, in reality, one never knows how much protein one is feeding with them. Plummies are from India and all Indian parrots eat mostly fruits and flowers with just a few grains mixed in so they don't do well with a lot of protein.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 pm

They are also very sensitive to the weather too
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet