Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What's the Best Diet for a New Senegal?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

What's the Best Diet for a New Senegal?

Postby NJBirdMan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:38 am

I will be getting a Senegal Parrot in the Spring. My question is what is the Best Diet to have available for him when I bring him home ?
I hope all of you Senegal owners can help me out with this question, and thanks for sharing your
experiences with me.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What's the Best Diet for a New Senegal?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 pm

I can tell you what I feed my senegals: gloop and raw produce (one veggie, one fruit, one green - a different one every day of the week) for breakfast and all day picking, and a mix of nuts and seeds (more nuts than seeds) for dinner. But you are going to have a baby so you need to think of handfeeding and offering not only the 'adult' diet but also two kinds of soft food served warm and fresh twice a day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: What's the Best Diet for a New Senegal?

Postby Rmoses » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:26 pm

I would find out what the bird's current diet is and have that available when you get the bird. If the diet is not correct for your bird, you can adjust as the bird gets used to it's new home.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet