Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How much nuts?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How much nuts?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:36 pm

My birds aren't really big on nuts and hardly ever want to eat them but I just wanted to ask how much nuts is too much for a bird that doesn't fly a lot like wild birds or free flyers
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: How much nuts?

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:17 pm

I give Rambo and Myrtle one cashew with their fruit and vegi breakfast as well as softened grain.
I used to give a piece of walnut and tried it again last month but Rambo through it at me and insisted on a cashew.

I give them 1 almond in the shell with their seed supper about a 4th cup. I also give them a saltless pretzel and a half of unsalted cracker.

They seem to be doing well with it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 pm

I'd be careful giving nuts to cockatoos. They're pretty nuts already. :cockatoo:
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Navre wrote:I'd be careful giving nuts to cockatoos. They're pretty nuts already. :cockatoo:

Don't have any Cockatoos lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:22 pm

None of the species you have require nuts in their diet as they are not part of their natural diet. The gray would have but you haven't found her yet, right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Pajarita wrote:None of the species you have require nuts in their diet as they are not part of their natural diet. The gray would have but you haven't found her yet, right?

I mean as treats how much would be too much to be giving throughout the day? No Tiko hasn't been found yet but a Galah was spotted somewhere and the picture was posted on Tiko's page someone thought it was her but I posted the Galah's picture on 911 Parrot Alert I hope its reunited with his owner.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:26 pm

How much nuts would Tiko need in her diet?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:53 am

If she is on the common breakfast that we serve our parrots and getting seed for supper, she does not NEED nuts. They are a high protein food and protein should be kept down.
Mine look forward to the nuts I give them and eat them first. I do not use treats for rewards or teaching. I use praise.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:26 pm

liz wrote:If she is on the common breakfast that we serve our parrots and getting seed for supper, she does not NEED nuts. They are a high protein food and protein should be kept down.
Mine look forward to the nuts I give them and eat them first. I do not use treats for rewards or teaching. I use praise.

Ok I think there are already nuts in her seed mix anyway and yes she gets a little bit of seed for supper
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Actually, grays do need more protein than other species. All the larger African species do. My grays get nuts with just a little bit of seeds for dinner - for example, half a macadamia, one medium size cashew, one almond and some seeds (striped sunflowers -maybe 3 or 4, some safflower -maybe 4 or 5, and grass seeds like millet and such -maybe a level teaspoonful). Mind you, these quantities are not exact, I don't even count the nuts or measure the seeds, I just kind of eye it and add or remove until the whole thing looks like enough and then a tiny bit more to fill up their crop.

For your little ones, I would use either slivers or small pieces of almonds, walnuts, etc, sunflowers or safflowers as treats.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet