Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How much nuts?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: How much nuts?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:Actually, grays do need more protein than other species. All the larger African species do. My grays get nuts with just a little bit of seeds for dinner - for example, half a macadamia, one medium size cashew, one almond and some seeds (striped sunflowers -maybe 3 or 4, some safflower -maybe 4 or 5, and grass seeds like millet and such -maybe a level teaspoonful). Mind you, these quantities are not exact, I don't even count the nuts or measure the seeds, I just kind of eye it and add or remove until the whole thing looks like enough and then a tiny bit more to fill up their crop.

For your little ones, I would use either slivers or small pieces of almonds, walnuts, etc, sunflowers or safflowers as treats.

The little ones actually wouldn't even eat a nut unless they were really hungry, There are some nuts in their seed mix too and they just get left behind.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes, my little ones don't touch nuts, either.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Milo and Cracker love nuts so its really those that eat them when they come to visit lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:59 pm

I put a half of a walnut in the Cockatiel's supper last night. They take little chunks out of celery so I thought I would just see if they like it. It had little chunks out of it too.
The Cockatiels will go for large pieces of veggie and leave the cut small pieces alone. They would rather chomp into the big peace.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:29 pm

My two Pois absolutely love nuts. The look on their little faces as they eat them leaves no doubt. Just mentioning the word nut creates such excitment, twirling, spinning...lol.. for your smaller parrots Brandon, less nuts is better. Trying to feed as close to possible as what their diet in the wild was is always the best.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Rocko has started liking them he even held a hazel nut with his foot and wanted more lol but the others aren't really into nuts
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Your parrots arent nut eaters in the wild Brandon so they wll not be that excited about nuts. My daughters Green cheek conure lives with two Pois in the house, a Senegal and a Meyers. The Pois love their nuts and the Conure only eats a very little.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:25 am

seagoatdeb wrote:Your parrots arent nut eaters in the wild Brandon so they wll not be that excited about nuts. My daughters Green cheek conure lives with two Pois in the house, a Senegal and a Meyers. The Pois love their nuts and the Conure only eats a very little.

My Aunts conures love nuts so I guess its just preference, Cockatiels don't eat nuts in the wild do they? Rocko loves them and Mango loves apples and other fruits.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:07 pm

No, tiels never eat nuts in the wild and they have too much fat in them to be healthy for them (they are grass seed eaters). Conures should also not have a diet with high fat (they are mostly fruit eaters).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Pajarita wrote:No, tiels never eat nuts in the wild and they have too much fat in them to be healthy for them (they are grass seed eaters). Conures should also not have a diet with high fat (they are mostly fruit eaters).

Neither of them eat nuts all the time anyway so its not part of the diet
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet