Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Red factor/Suffusion

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Red factor/Suffusion

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

How can you tell if an African grey has red factor or suffusion? I met this African grey today and he had red feathers under the tail near his legs and around his neck and back.He is only a baby and is being kept for breeding and babies will be sold for €5000 wow they are normally €900-1000 for a normal grey.Someone on my Facebook group said this grey has suffusion due to bad diet which looks to be mainly sunflower seeds.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Red factor/Suffusion

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 am

You can't tell by just looking at the bird because a red feather is a red feather. You need a bile acids test because, when it's red suffusion and not a mutation, the liver is not working right and that's why the bird ends up with red feathers. BUT I have found that grays grow red feathers where they would have grey ones if they have plucked them for a while.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Red factor/Suffusion

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:40 am

Pajarita wrote:You can't tell by just looking at the bird because a red feather is a red feather. You need a bile acids test because, when it's red suffusion and not a mutation, the liver is not working right and that's why the bird ends up with red feathers. BUT I have found that grays grow red feathers where they would have grey ones if they have plucked them for a while.

This baby is only around 4-5 months old so I doubt he was plucking and he seemed very happy talking and I think he really liked us too bad he's not for sale lol.We were wanting to get another African grey preferably a Male for Tiko and she isn't even here :( plus ill be bird sitting a Grey so its gonna be quite different.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet