Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

kiwi the picky IRN

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: kiwi the picky IRN

Postby liz » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks to Myrtle I found out that they can peel oranges. I had a bowl of fruit on the counter and I found a naked orange. It looked like a human peeled it.
I put an orange within Rainbow's reach and he did the same.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: kiwi the picky IRN

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:13 pm

danamaynah wrote:I mashed it coz i noticed he prefers to eat soft food, when ever i give him something hard to chew on he just takes it and drops it even if i eat it infront of him, ill keep on offering him solids its probably beter for him to strengthen his beak am i right?

I don't know about his beak needing strengthening but mashed foods, especially if they are warm, resemble regurgitated food with the corresponding breeding connotations it carries. IRNs are not eaters of hard nuts or anything like that so I would assume that they are not keen on them. But baked potatoes are so soft that I doubt he has any trouble eating them. My main reason for not giving them anything mashed is that I think that chunks or whole fruits when they are small in size are more natural to what nature meant for them to eat and I always try to make everything as close to nature as I can. Having said that, soft, warm food is highly comforting to them so it's not as if I am completely against it. It depends on the circumstances. I use it myself when they are sick or hurt, just not when they are strong and healthy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet