Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Yummy pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Yummy pellets

Postby Rmoses » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:21 am

I love a good debate. So let me share some of my own opinions. first of all I do not have the experience and knowledge that Pajarita and Bird woman do. As for experience, one could say that they have been feeding nothing but sunflower seed to their bird for 18 years and he is fine. That is their experience, until maybe next year and the bird dies of liver damage. As far as research, most research of foods is done by the company that is selling the food. So you gotta think biased opinions. Pajarita, as for the TOPs pellets, I liked the idea that there was not soy bean in them. I contacted the company and asked when they would be available in Mexico. They responded that when some one in Mexico wanted to be a distributer and sell the product they would be in Mexico, but they didn't think that would happen because of all the fresh fruit and vegetables in Mexico. So does that mean they think their own pellets are not as good as fresh food? One can look all over the internet and find varying views on any subject, so why would parrot care not be different. I think maybe one should find a site with people that sound grounded and trustworthy and stick with that group. No need to bounce around the web going crazy.
Pajarita and Bird woman, as far as Brandon goes, he's only 17 why debate with him. Brandon, that was not intended to be a put down. You seem to be intelligent and really caring for your birds and I admire those qualities especially at your age. After reading this thread, I've decided that neither the women or Brandon are going to change their minds on anything. Ya'll have a good day.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

I don't know why you would assume Rmoses that I wouldn't change my mind on anything , after all I am a woman and that right is reserved for all woman. :lol: I'm always on the look out for better ( easier ) ways to provide nutrition for all 10 of my fids that All of them will eat. I'm not up for the youngster debate and honestly I had no idea that he was so young ( I should have checked the profile ) . With that being said he loves birds and that makes him okay in my books . As you can guess it gets pretty time consuming cooking for 10 large birds twice a day and not to mention the mess and waste but nothing's too good for my babies :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:12 am

Interesting opinion that you have, Rick, I can't say that I am in full agreement with it, but it does have some merit, thank you for sharing it with us.

The main reason that I am responding to your reply is due to the pellet question. Yes, it does mean that TOPS recognizes that fresh foods are superior to any processed food, pellets or otherwise. If you could get an honest answer fro any of the feed manufacturers you would also get that same answer that fresh is always to be preferred.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:32 am

Does my profile say 17? Im 16
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Rmoses » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:31 pm

Sorry Bird woman, I must be getting old, I forgot about women and their minds, I mean the right to change their minds. Thanks for the comment Wolf. Yes Brandon, according to your profile you should be 17. You joined on April 27th 2015 and stated that you were 16. Therefore the math makes you 17. That is all that I was going by. Happy Turkey day everyone
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:58 am

Oh it does say Age on the top of the profile though
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Rmoses wrote:I love a good debate. So let me share some of my own opinions. first of all I do not have the experience and knowledge that Pajarita and Bird woman do. As for experience, one could say that they have been feeding nothing but sunflower seed to their bird for 18 years and he is fine. That is their experience, until maybe next year and the bird dies of liver damage. As far as research, most research of foods is done by the company that is selling the food. So you gotta think biased opinions. Pajarita, as for the TOPs pellets, I liked the idea that there was not soy bean in them. I contacted the company and asked when they would be available in Mexico. They responded that when some one in Mexico wanted to be a distributer and sell the product they would be in Mexico, but they didn't think that would happen because of all the fresh fruit and vegetables in Mexico. So does that mean they think their own pellets are not as good as fresh food? One can look all over the internet and find varying views on any subject, so why would parrot care not be different. I think maybe one should find a site with people that sound grounded and trustworthy and stick with that group. No need to bounce around the web going crazy.
Pajarita and Bird woman, as far as Brandon goes, he's only 17 why debate with him. Brandon, that was not intended to be a put down. You seem to be intelligent and really caring for your birds and I admire those qualities especially at your age. After reading this thread, I've decided that neither the women or Brandon are going to change their minds on anything. Ya'll have a good day.
Rick

If there is one thing I admire about Tops founder is the fact that she is always 100% honest about her products so, yes, I agree with Wolf that the statement (at least to me) means that fresh food is better for parrots.

As to not changing my mind... well, you are wrong about that because I must have changed my mind 1000 times when it comes to parrot husbandry (I fed my first parrot sunflower seeds, French fries and chicken!) and not only about diet but also about all kinds of other things. The diet my birds get is nothing but a work in progress as I am constantly doing research and tweaking the gloop recipe.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Me toooo! My husbandry is always a work in progress as well as nutrition. B.W. :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Pajarita and Bird woman, my comment was not about your husbandry of your parrots. It definitely wasn't meant to offend. I was only commenting on this particular thread and how the comments between you ladies and Brandon was going back and forth with neither side budging. It was just an observation that I meant in a light hearted way.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Rmoses wrote:I love a good debate. So let me share some of my own opinions. first of all I do not have the experience and knowledge that Pajarita and Bird woman do. As for experience, one could say that they have been feeding nothing but sunflower seed to their bird for 18 years and he is fine. That is their experience, until maybe next year and the bird dies of liver damage. As far as research, most research of foods is done by the company that is selling the food. So you gotta think biased opinions. Pajarita, as for the TOPs pellets, I liked the idea that there was not soy bean in them. I contacted the company and asked when they would be available in Mexico. They responded that when some one in Mexico wanted to be a distributer and sell the product they would be in Mexico, but they didn't think that would happen because of all the fresh fruit and vegetables in Mexico. So does that mean they think their own pellets are not as good as fresh food? One can look all over the internet and find varying views on any subject, so why would parrot care not be different. I think maybe one should find a site with people that sound grounded and trustworthy and stick with that group. No need to bounce around the web going crazy.
Rick

I have often wondered why they debate with Brandon given his age as well. We all do the best we can with food and its very true that some have feed their diets for many years and then say based on their research that is best, but only the future will tell if it is. I prefer to feed as much raw and fresh and as close to their natural diest as possible but sometimes it really comes down to what my parrrots are like at any particular time and how picky they are and the best way of getting the best nutrition into them. I think changing the format sometimes helps to keep things more interesting for them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet