Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Alexandrine Parrot is drooling!?!?!?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

My Alexandrine Parrot is drooling!?!?!?

Postby SmokeyScullyMiriam » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:42 pm

My Alexandrian is 2years old... And a bought him almost a year ago... He has NEVER been sick before... But he always drools... When he sleeps is when it happens... And it's kinda thick and watery... But clear.
He seems to be acting fine... Happy, always eating... He drinks fine... ( always 3 gulps a water... No more or no less, every single night... )
He plays a LOT!!! Loves to chew everything he can! And he is very vocal!
He does sneeze often dry sneezes... But tonight was a wet sneeze... Maybe allergies... But he has nothing around his beak... Please get back ASAP!!!
SmokeyScullyMiriam
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrian Parrot
Flight: No

Re: My Alexandrine Parrot is drooling!?!?!?

Postby liz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:06 am

I know very little and am sure that the other members have more info to share but:
This is something a Vet should examine. I am thinking he has a particle stuck in his mouth. Whatever it is he controls the slobbers when awake and involved with an activity but not when he sleeps.
Please have a vet check him. I don't know about you but my birds have not learned "open wide" so I can see in there.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 am

It is not normal for a parrot to drool, they do not salivate like we do and their mouths are dry because of this. I would think that this drooling may be an indication of a crop and or a respiratory infection so I would suggest that you take him to your avian vet as soon as possible.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby SmokeyScullyMiriam » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 am

Wolf wrote:It is not normal for a parrot to drool, they do not salivate like we do and their mouths are dry because of this. I would think that this drooling may be an indication of a crop and or a respiratory infection so I would suggest that you take him to your avian vet as soon as possible.

But he only does it at night while sleeping and grinding his beak... Than when he wakes he's good... The only time I seen him drooling when he was awake, is when he
chew on his toy...
SmokeyScullyMiriam
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrian Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Parrots can NOT drool so what you are seeing is not saliva, it has to be something coming up from his crop or dripping from his nares (nose) so, please, take him to a vet ASAP!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:40 pm

I understand what you are saying about the drool occurring at night and don't really understand all that I know about this phenomenon. I am a human ( more or less), and have also recently had a respiratory infection that is in the process of being treated and most of the liquids from it occur in the evening and during the night, although I have no idea as to why this is, it just is. With a bird however, they are not built with the ability to drool any saliva like we are so it is my thought that this drool must be coming from the crop or from the respiratory system through the nares ( nostrils), perhaps the position of the birds head during sleep facilitates this draining of fluid, but I don't really know if that would or could be a factor. I do know that if this were my bird that I would get it in to see my avian vet as soon as possible.

I hope that this is helpful, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:55 am

I drool on my pillow at night and have no control over it. I do not drool during the day. Your bird is controlling the day time.
Have you been to the vet yet?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 pm

I have seen this twice , parrots that had sticky sometimes milky substance comming from there mouths when they came into the sanctuary and both times it was due to a chronic nose and respatory infection. Both were treated and cleared up. You need to go to the vet. Don't risk your birds health. Putting a vaporizer in the birds room and the bird in a steamy bathroom will loosen the congestion and help also oranges for vitamins. B.W.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Suzy_the_Cockatoo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:44 am

Yes, parrots have salivary glands. They also have a system of ducts. They don't just drool without an underlying reason like Trichomoniasis or a mouth irritation.
Suzy_the_Cockatoo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 5 cockatoos

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet