Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vitamins

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Vitamins

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:39 am

What is the best way to give vitamins to a bird who is not eating pellets?

I seem to remember giving Nekton-S to my African Grey many years ago. I think I dissolved it into the water. That was the '80s. I'm sure things have changed. (Everything else has)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Vitamins

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:00 pm

I have two different blends. One is a water soluble powder (ABBA 2000 - I use if for the passerines because they don't eat soft food) and the other is a powder you sprinkle on the soft food (ABBA Vita-Power - this is what the parrots get). But none of them get them every day - depending on the season, they get 1.5 daily dosage once or twice during the week. They only get it every day when they first come to me and I know they have not been getting a good diet for some time - and then, only for a couple of weeks because, by then, they are all eating better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Thank You. I'll look for the water soluble. I'm not sure the bird with which I'm concerned is eating any soft food right now. He seems to be seed only to this point.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Wow. The band ABBA was busy 16 years ago.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:51 am

I LOVE ABBA songs and I have a beef with all the radio stations nowadays because they hardly ever play them! I even went to see Mamma Mia, the Broadway show they did that had only ABBA songs in it (had to drag my husband who had never heard of them and dislikes all musicals but he LOVED it!). But the name of the company is not from the group, it's from the founder's last name: Abbate.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

Pajarita wrote:I LOVE ABBA songs and I have a beef with all the radio stations nowadays because they hardly ever play them! I even went to see Mamma Mia, the Broadway show they did that had only ABBA songs in it (had to drag my husband who had never heard of them and dislikes all musicals but he LOVED it!). But the name of the company is not from the group, it's from the founder's last name: Abbate.

You need to find a "classic hits" station. ABBA will never be played on a "classic rock" station. A classic hits format will have them in rotation, but classic hit stations are much rarer. I used to work at a classic rock station ( the first such station in the country) so I learned the difference.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:27 pm

AHHH! And now I learned it, too! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet