Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Eating the shell of a walnut

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Eating the shell of a walnut

Postby Sissy B » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 am

I noticed Elvis was eating the outer shell of a walnut. Is this normal and is it ok for them to do so? I have not seen him eat the shell before? If it's good for him should i add it to his chomp. Witch I'm giving a try for the first time.
Thank you Elvis and Irish Blue's momma
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old
Flight: No

Re: Eating the shell of a walnut

Postby dragonlady2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:58 am

This brings to mind a story of a cockatoo who died and when they did the necropsy (sp?), they found walnut shells in the crop which is what killed him. I would rather be safe than sorry...give him the walnuts shelled, jmo.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I am not up on how much protein that a cockatoo needs in its diet, but the eating of the shell may indicate a vitamin defiency or that the bird needs something that is found in walnuts. The eating of the shell is not good for them so I would offer only shelled walnuts and perhaps give him an extra one during the day for a while to help correct any defiency that may be present. It could also be that he just really likes walnuts and/ or is not getting enough woody things to chew on and destroy. Just my best guess.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm

My birds would, sometimes, entertain themselves breaking up nut shells into tiny pieces but, as far as I can tell, they don't swallow them. If yours does, just give him shelled nuts - and maybe some chewing toys or just pieces of wood (my toos chew huge amounts of wood regularly).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet