Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pellets?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pellets?

Postby Chicklet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

What do you look for in a good pellet brand?

Basically how do you know what is a good pellet brand and what isn't??

Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.
Flight: Yes

Re: Pellets?

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 am

You can only guess and take their word for it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Chicklet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

Yeah..I just don't like not knowing what my birds are eating. Because in dog food, corn isn't a good ingredient to have in there..it just basically goes right through them. Now, a lot of parrot pellets have corn as one of their main ingredients...is that bad?
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I read labels, and use brand reputation as a secondary evaluator. For cat food, I look for brands that are voluntarily inspected by vets, but I don't know if there is an analog for parrot pellets.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah but there is so much corruption when it comes to pellet recommendations. I think the vets, trainers, and vendors of higher end pellet brands get certain kick backs or incentives to recommend them which makes me doubt if they are really better or not.

If I were a pellet manufacturer, I'd probably provide popular breeders with a life time supply of pellets to feed their entire breeding flock so that when people buy the parrots, the breeder would tell the new owners that is what the parrot is accustomed to eating.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:23 pm

I think vets are often more objective than all that, even when the companies "court" them. In this case, though, we are talking about voluntary plant inspection which is different from an office vet being given perks.

I've found with cat food, anyway, the brands that are advertising the most as "all natural" and "all real food" have the most questionable ingredients. Sure they might be real blueberries, but what self-respecting cat would EAT blueberries? Not sure how much this is true for parrot pellets, there just aren't that many high quality brands out there as far as I can tell.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby myakando » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Definitely read the labels.... can't stress this enough! If you don't know what something means, Google it and you'll get your answer. I was in shock when I learned about some of the ingredients that are used in bird foods.

A lot of these pellets are extruded, meaning they are cooked at extremely high temperatures, between 400-600 degrees. Even IF the ingredients used are up to par, everything is detroyed after the food is processed and cooked. Basically, all you have left is some good quality, empty dead food.

The times I DO feed pellets to my guys, I use the Breeder's Blend cold processed pellets. Not 100% organic but at least they're getting soem nutrition.

My best recommendation.... sprout your birdie's food. Your bird will love you for it!!
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby bmsweb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I've been using the Vetafarm.com brand which is an Australian brand owned and operated by Dr Tony Gestier. The fact that he is a vet who also specializes in Birds makes me hope that the product is good. But like everyone says their is no way of knowing.

My conures are now on to Pellets and once a week they get seed. Mind you pellets smell like crap!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 am

I like the Nutriberry/Avicake concept. The main plus to pellets is that the vitamins and minerals are inextricably mixed with the food so that the bird does get them. The berry/cake does much the same thing while still offering whole food that seems more appealing.

I don't think cooking bird food is any worse than cooking human food... it has the advantage of killing any bacteria that may be lurking in the raw materials. And it makes some nutrients more available. It does make others less so, but it isn't all negative.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby bmsweb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:15 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:I don't think cooking bird food is any worse than cooking human food.

My wife and I have been debating this lately. I've noticed some veggies they like cooked (steamed) and some they don't. I never considered the Bacteria issue.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet