Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Corsair is flying again!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Corsair is flying again!

Postby Harpmaker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Since Corsair lost all the primaries on one wing just before Thanksgiving she has been a glider/climber/ pedestrian. Her glides have become more horizontal but without altitude gain. This week, however, she managed to fly UP across the room, ending about 5 feet higher than she started.

She still has a short wing, and is missing a lot of tail feathers, so she must have been seriously motivated. In the absence of terror, all I can figure is that she REALLY wanted to fly again. As has been discussed on this forum before, motivation is everything to a "flightless" bird. Today she managed a mid-flight turn with about a foot of altitude gain. I am so proud of her for keeping up her self-imposed "physical therapy," and so very happy she is flying again.

Thanks to all who helped me understand her accident. There have been no repeats, and I hope there won't be, but I will check in here if there are.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Corsair is flying again!

Postby liz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:24 am

YAY
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Corsair is flying again!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:45 pm

Great news!! And thank you for giving us this great update! Yes, I am sure she did it out of motivation but I am also sure that she has been perfecting the 'lop-sided' technique that allows her to fly with only one 'good' wing and her muscles are now stronger. I have one clipped bird (I did not clip him, he came like that and hasn't molted yet) and he manages to go up a bit by allowing himself to 'dip' a bit when he takes off horizontally and then flap real hard to reach a point higher than the one he was perching on.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet