Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can a Marmoset cause illness in a parrot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Can a Marmoset cause illness in a parrot?

Postby Coyote711 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi all, I'd like some advice on this. My friend wants to come over my house tomorrow, and she has 2 marmosets with her. One is at least a year old and the other is a baby, still being bottle-fed. I have one 4 year old male cockatiel named Sunny who is healthy. Sunny was sick and required Doxycycline and Metronidazole about 3 or 4 months ago for an unknown illness, and has since recovered fully. I'm worried about these monkeys spreading an illness to my bird, and was wondering if that is possible, even if they are kept completely separate in different rooms. Thank you for any advice!
Coyote711
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Can a Marmoset cause illness in a parrot?

Postby liz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 am

Since our birds do not contract our illnesses I don't think I would worry. Of course it would have to be a critter that has been watched for a month before introduction.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 am

Marmosets are mammals so I don't think that there is much reason to be concerned about disease transference, but I really don't think that having monkeys and birds running free in the same space is a good idea as it would appear to me to be very dangerous for the bird. Most monkeys have some predatory drives and they love to tear things apart and even if the monkeys would not eat the bird, the bird would not be safe anywhere around the monkeys. Just my thoughts on this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Coyote711 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:40 am

They recently got this newborn Marmoset from a Florida Fish and Game service that rehomes these animals. The baby was rejected by their mother and the owners couldn't care for it. I don't believe that they've had this baby for over a month, therefore I think I'll just play it safe and not have the monkeys here in the house. And I already stated that if the Marmosets did come to the house, I would that they and Sunny were in separate rooms with the door closed. I would never want them to come into close contact with each other. Besides, Sunny would be terrified of them.
Coyote711
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet