Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

"Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Hey everyone. My wife bought this "non-toxic" nail polish that doesn't test on animals but I don't know if any of the ingredients are harmful. Would anyone know if any of these ingredients off hand create fumes that could endanger them? Thanks.

Aqua (water)
Polyurethane-35 (resin)
Acrylic/VP Crosspolymer (resin)
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (resin)
Triethanolamine (less than 2%)
Glycerine (less than 2%)
Laureth-21 (1% or less)
And may contain (0-4%, varies per colour):
Polyethylene Terephthalate (glitter)
MICA
CI 11710 (yellow pigment)
CI 77266 (black pigment)
CI 74160 (blue pigment)
CI 77000 (aluminium powder)
CI 77891 (titanium white)
ParrotMan82
Lovebird
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 30
Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw, White capped Pionus, Jardine's Parrot, Meyer's Parrot, 2x Quakers, Nanday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:02 pm

None of that stuff sounds any good :shock: I could take the time and look up each ingredient but you could to. Honestly I would not even think about painting my fingernails or removing polish around my birds. Ala natural is best they have such a sensitive respatory system. BW
User avatar
Bird woman
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 841
Location: Southern , Oregon
Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 pm

As far as I know most of it is safe. From my research the only thing of some concern is the Triethanolamine. I'm not entirely sure about the Polyurethane-35 though.
ParrotMan82
Lovebird
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 30
Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw, White capped Pionus, Jardine's Parrot, Meyer's Parrot, 2x Quakers, Nanday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 pm

A lot of these companies that say they don't test on animals and then the ingredients are full of chemicals just use someone elses test results, so a bit hypocritical.
Most nail varnishes give of fumes when drying so I would avoid using them anywhere near birds.
The non-toxic label unless it states otherwise applies to human toxicity not birds who are more sensitive to fumes than we are.
Growing Old Disgracefully
User avatar
Loriusgarrulus
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 180
Location: Cheshire. United Kingdom
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 am

The ingredients as listed are relatively safe for humans in small amounts and even safer after they have fully dried and cured, but this does not apply to parrots.

Polyurethane does give off fumes while it is drying and curing, I know this for a fact as I use a fair amount of it in some of my woodworking and the can also says to use it only in a well ventilated area. I would not consider glitter to be safe for any bird. While I do not know what glitter is made of and so can't say whether it is toxic in that manner, I do know that glitter has a lot of sharp edges and is hard which leads me to the conclusion that even if not toxic it could still cut up the birds digestive tract if ingested.

My Lady works at an art supply house and I know that titanium white is toxic enough that it must be shipped with a hazardous material information sheet. I would consider all of the resins to be toxic, but some of that could just be me playing it safe for my birds.
Wolf
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 8679
Location: Lansing, NC
Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:08 pm

If your wife paints her nails away from the birds, allows them to dry thoroughly before she interacts them with and the birds don't chew on them, it's OK. The problem is that birds are very attracted to color and usually love to chew on nails (at least, mine do and that's why I only get a mani when I am going somewhere but take the polish off when I come back and before I deal with my birds) but, if yours don't and her nails are completely dry before she interacts with them, I don't see any danger.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 11865
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby ParrotMan82 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:38 pm

I think the glitter is mica, but I'm not sure. I had a talk with her and basically said that she should do it in another room and let it dry. I also said that she shouldn't let them chew on her nails. Good luck with that >.<
ParrotMan82
Lovebird
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 30
Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw, White capped Pionus, Jardine's Parrot, Meyer's Parrot, 2x Quakers, Nanday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I have let my nails dry in the same room as my parrots. :/ Its food for thought. I likely may again though... Nobodys died yet. I open my windows daily though for an exchange... For what its worth. Only my toe nails are an attraction for biting. Actually my feet in general. I have to put shoes on first thing in the morning. Im glad you dont paint your birds nails! Which was my fear when i read the title.
Piccolo and Pod
User avatar
DanaandPod
Poicephalus
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 312
Location: Connecticut
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:06 am

Without wishing to upset anyone but I probably will, I have a rule in my home. If it is scented or a strong aroma , don't use it.
User avatar
alienlady
Poicephalus
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 305
Location: UK
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: "Non-Toxic" Nail Polish

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Well, personally, I don't use anything that has fumes (like nail polish, nail polish remover, oven cleaner, paint thinner, etc) inside the house but I don't think that all scents are 'created equal'. Not that I would light a scented candle or anything like that but I do simmer potpourri I make myself (nothing complicated, citrus peels, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, star anise - that kind of stuff) when I am going to be having company and I do wear perfume when I go out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 11865
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store