Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Burns or bumblefoot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Burns or bumblefoot?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am

Great news! But please be careful with vit A. No body (meaning animal body) was meant to consume it in its final form (it doesn't exist in vegetables, only in animal bodies) but to produce as much as it needs from dietary betacarotene so, when a herbivore (as our companion parrots are with the possible exception of two species) ingest vit A, any excess of it ends up in the liver in the form of fatty nodules because nature never gave their bodies the capacity to get rid of it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:19 am

I am not sure which desert you are in, but if you have cholla cactus you could find some of the older dried pieces on the ground that no longer have thorns and use them for you birds. My birds love to chew them up and the natural holes make a wonderful place for treats, they make great perches too!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Sprite.birb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:55 am

Pajarita wrote:Great news! But please be careful with vit A. No body (meaning animal body) was meant to consume it in its final form (it doesn't exist in vegetables, only in animal bodies) but to produce as much as it needs from dietary betacarotene so, when a herbivore (as our companion parrots are with the possible exception of two species) ingest vit A, any excess of it ends up in the liver in the form of fatty nodules because nature never gave their bodies the capacity to get rid of it.

Thank you for the warning but I've simply been making sure to give him an orange fruit or veggie a day
Sprite.birb
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Canary winged parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Sprite.birb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:57 am

Wolf wrote:I am not sure which desert you are in, but if you have cholla cactus you could find some of the older dried pieces on the ground that no longer have thorns and use them for you birds. My birds love to chew them up and the natural holes make a wonderful place for treats, they make great perches too!

I wish we had that! No cactus.. just sage brush and dirt. It's really quite boring! Hahahaha
Sprite.birb
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 am

I am really only familiar with the deserts around Arizona from Flagstaff to Tucson. where do you live, I might be able to make other suggestions.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Sprite.birb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 pm

I live in a desert of eastern Washington state :)
Sprite.birb
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 am

Hmmm ! I lived in Spokane for a while way back before they had the Worlds Fair held there, such a long time ago. I will have to do some research which will probably take me some time. In the meantime you could check with any friends that live in a different area and see if they might be able to find some free bird safe woods for perches that they could ship to you. I had a friend in Arizona send me a box of cholla cactus that he found that was dead and down to just the woody centers.

Another thing that you might be able to do is to locate a local nursery and see what they have that might be suitable for growing in your area, even if you have to water it or use it as a houseplant. I will get back to you on this as soon as I can.

I often use branches from lilacs and roses for some of my birds. Even when the branches from these are too small for perches they still like to chew them up especially if there are leaves and bark left on them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Sprite.birb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh lilac!! I forgot about lilac! My sister lives a few hours away but she has a huge lilac bush and when I visit in the spring she always lets me bring home blooms for Sprite to eat! She doesn't spray her yard with anything luckily so I will get some of those branches! I would be a little hesistant with a nursery because Im concerned with chemicals that they used. Everyone uses so many pesticides around here! Ugh. I did order some branch perches online so we will see if they are very natural or not once they come. There is a parrot supply store in Spokane that I love and I plan on seeing what they have but my area has had such bad ice storms for the last two weeks and it hasn't been safe to make the long drive.
Sprite.birb
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 am

I discovered that the cholla cactus does grow in the Columbia plateau but since most cacti are endangered in Washington state I am not sure where, however you could look along the rivers in the area for cottonwood trees as the wood is safe for parrots to make perches as well as for them to chew on.

Much of the desert in this area has been taken over for agriculture and among the plants that are grown are grapes which if not sprayed are safe for your birds as well. If you check around you may be able to find individuals that grow small amounts of grapes for themselves that may give you the cuttings from the pruning that is required for their grapes to continue to be productive. Same goes for apples that are grown further north. In many places we forget to just keep our eyes open for the odd tree or plant that individuals grow for their own use and many of these are not sprayed, but if asked most will tell you if they use anything on them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet