Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Involuntary Tongue Movement

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Involuntary Tongue Movement

Postby Italialu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a 12 year old Senegal Parrot. He is quite the skittish bird afraid of his own shadow but I love him to pieces. For the past few years, I have noticed that at times, once a month, he seems to have these uncontrollable tongue movement where the tongue seems to move from side to side outside of his beak. He tries to stop it by putting his foot in his mouth to stop it. It would last about five minutes. I am not sure what it is but it is upsetting seeing him struggle with this. Please advise. Thank so much.
Italialu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Rock Pebbler
Flight: No

Re: Involuntary Tongue Movement

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 am

I don't believe that I have ever seen or heard of anything such as you are describing, are you certain that the tongue movements are not due to his foot itching? In any case it would be most helpful if you could post a video of this behavior.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 am

How do you know it's only once a month? Are you with him and observing him 24/7? How long has he been doing this? What, exactly, does he do with his foot that makes you believe he is putting it in his beak to stop the tongue movement? Have you looked inside his beak? Has he been to the vet in the last 6 months? Does he pluck? What is his diet, exactly? Is he alone in his cage? Does he chew on the bars? Is the cage made out of a safe material with no chips? I am not trying to be difficult or give you a hard time, mind you, I am just trying to get as much information as I can.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Italialu » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm

I have tried numerous times to upload a video of him doing it, to no avail. His involuntary tongue movement starts first then he tries to stop it by putting his foot in his mouth or he bites something to make the tongue stop. Maybe he gets too excited to see me and this is his way of getting excited, however, to me it looks neurological. Thanks for your ideas and insight.
Italialu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Rock Pebbler
Flight: No

Postby liz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:54 pm

How do you give him water? Is it a bowl or one of those stupid water bottles?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 am

No, it cannot be neurological because, if there was an impairment, it wouldn't affect only the tongue. Please answer my questions and Liz's on the water (bowl or bottle - good catch, Liz!) so we can give you an informed opinion.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:42 pm

I am not sure how it works but you might be able to post the video on you tube, make it public and just post the link here on the forum. hope this helps.

Although I have never heard f this behavior in a bird, it seems to me that the only thing that would cause the behavior as described would be something wedged inside of the beak or perhaps a sore spot on the inside of the beak. Either of these things might require the services of an avian vet.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet