Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Food and flight

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Food and flight

Postby Krevh » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 am

Hi there! Wow thanks for the imput pajarita, i realy need to hear these kinds of things too :D
Let me explain the situation a bit further:
As far as our training went, i read that birds have a 15 min concentration span. So before i saw your post i trained him for 15 mins, a 5 min break and repeat 2-3 more times. yesterday i cut that in half, and today i just played with him. Even without pushing him, he still flew quite alot around the room over the course of the day.
In the long run, as far as flight training goes, i'm not training him recall for free flight outside, but (eventualy) i'd like for him to fly around the house, up and down the stairs and so on. His cage is always open, he knows how to get in and out, but prefers to be on the top of his cage.

Diet: in the morning, i feedc him a mix of chopped apples, carrots, lettuce and oranges. what he dosen't eat, is left for him at the top of his cage. He has a full bowl of the seed mix in the cage, and after he eats some veggies in the morning, he goes for the seeds. i've allso tried to "share a meal" with him, turns out he loves mashed potato :) after sharing a meal at dinner yesterday, he came on his own at lunch today as we were sitting down! so thx for that advice.
During the course of the day he eats several times both the veggies and the seeds. although i decided to let him eat, i still think he's eating too much. i've tried to weigh him, to atleast have some record of his growth and weight gain. He refuses to stay still on the scale :cry:

He's hand raised, so i guess that makes some diference when talking about a companion bird.
Mine steps up, lands on my hand (or head) and seems realy sociable, not just with me but with others aswell, ecpecialy since i've had him for a short ehile.
Krevh
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Barraband
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, the thing with the classification of a parrot species being companion or aviary is not based on the parent versus hand-fed raising, training or anything but the actual nature of the species. It seems to me that the difference is in the sexual imprinting (this is my own theory, I have no scientific evidence, observations or studies to back it up). The reason why I say this is that aviary species do almost as well as companion ones until they reach the age of sexual activity when they 'change' and become aloof, flighty, etc. It's not that they are not people friendly, they are! And it's not as if they become screamers or biters (quite the contrary, they all tend to be very sweet-tempered compared to companion species), it's that, given half a chance of being with another bird of their own species, they will always choose the bird over their human. They will remain friendly with the human, perch on his/her shoulder and even step up and kiss you on occasion but, if they have to make a choice between a human and a bird, they will choose the bird every time.

I think that you are doing great! I would just forgo the formal training sessions for a while so as to 'win him over' first. It pays not to rush things at the beginning. I would also feed it cooked whole mixed with veggies for breakfast and all day picking and reserve the seed mix for his dinner (be careful with mash potatoes because they can't have any salt, butter or milk), separating his favorite kind (high value!) to be used for treats (maybe safflower?) and, later on, as reward for training. But you don't need to train a bird to fly all over the house, it will do it on its own. My pois fly up and down the stairs, go into my bedroom and the bathroom (when they find the door open which I try NOT to do because they love to chew my shower curtain). My amazons stay put (they are all considered perch potatoes :D ), my toos love to walk around and go up and down the stairs (neither can fly), my lovies ask to go back into their cage when ready, my sun conure is only now beginning to become more adept at flight (she was not taken out much in her previous life), my GCC only wants to be on me while her mate, an old and severely handicapped peachfront never leaves his cage (he cannot fly and falls down) and my grays don't roam at all unless it's on my shoulder but of all of these, the only aviary species I have are the lovies which fly all over the first floor but have never gone upstairs on their own -not that this means they won't in the future!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mommy2cute » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 am

Is it okay if I feed my pet parrots, grains from time to time?
mommy2cute
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 am

I feed my parrots cooked whole grains every day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet