Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Repetitive Behaviour

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Repetitive Behaviour

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 am

He is getting every test done, The vet really wants to see him and if he has to stay overnight it will be €100 deposit I just hope he gets better and Bairbre o' Malley is a great Avian Vet so if theres something wrong with Mango I know he will get better.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:24 am

Vets these days are taught to get to solutions the long way around to get as much money out of you as possible
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 pm

stevesjk wrote:Vets these days are taught to get to solutions the long way around to get as much money out of you as possible

Well thats obvious Doctors do the same I'm sure theres a cure for a lot of things
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

I think getting him a complete physical is always a good idea but I doubt this is something that was done by his parents because, if it was, he would have had the same problem all along -which he didn't. So, unless he received some type of head trauma (which would not show on blood work anyway) right before this behavior started, everything points to a stereotypy -which, again, will not show on blood work.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Without a video of the behavior it is hard to really get a great idea of things. A vet check is always a good idea when you see something like this. What stikes me is this started around the arrival of the amazon. This could be a nervousness and fear of being alone, because the Amazon has taken attention from him. This may be a fear reaction caused by fear of the amazon and an fear of an inability to get away from the amazon.

Since you are saving up money for the vet anyway, it may be a good idea to have them in very different areas of the house with no way open from one place to another, and see if that makes a difference. I would not move the Plum Head since he is already stressed.

They may some day get along, but with the diference in sizes that is something that you would work at slowly and constantly monitor. When I socialized Sunny and Gaugan to each other, and that is much easier with a similar species, I played very close attention to both of their body language and their eye pinning. I worked at it slowly, giving them approval for tolerating. I would not even attempt them being in the same room if one was showing a repetitive behavior.

When I socialized Gaugan to Sky, a Budgie we had, there was a big size difference. I worked much the same. Gaugan never wanted to be near the budgie but she learned to tolerate her presence and never tried to hurt her. Sky was caged in a different room untill Gaugan learned to accept her. I did not want Gaugan to intimidate Sky with body manerisms in the same room untill enough time had passed that there was already some degree of aceptance since they could hear each other over time.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:Without a video of the behavior it is hard to really get a great idea of things. A vet check is always a good idea when you see something like this. What stikes me is this started around the arrival of the amazon. This could be a nervousness and fear of being alone, because the Amazon has taken attention from him. This may be a fear reaction caused by fear of the amazon and an fear of an inability to get away from the amazon.

Since you are saving up money for the vet anyway, it may be a good idea to have them in very different areas of the house with no way open from one place to another, and see if that makes a difference. I would not move the Plum Head since he is already stressed.

They may some day get along, but with the diference in sizes that is something that you would work at slowly and constantly monitor. When I socialized Sunny and Gaugan to each other, and that is much easier with a similar species, I played very close attention to both of their body language and their eye pinning. I worked at it slowly, giving them approval for tolerating. I would not even attempt them being in the same room if one was showing a repetitive behavior.

When I socialized Gaugan to Sky, a Budgie we had, there was a big size difference. I worked much the same. Gaugan never wanted to be near the budgie but she learned to tolerate her presence and never tried to hurt her. Sky was caged in a different room untill Gaugan learned to accept her. I did not want Gaugan to intimidate Sky with body manerisms in the same room untill enough time had passed that there was already some degree of aceptance since they could hear each other over time.

Mango isn't afraid of Oscar though and they all tolerate each other, Mango is kept in my bedroom and I think thats where he would feel safest and he looks very insecure in other parts of the house so he rarely leaves.This could have been going on for a lot longer but I only noticed it between last month and the start of this month.He actually hasn't made any noise or repetitive behaviour in a while but that just makes me more worried.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:02 pm

It looks like it might have been a mating dance, But he was doing this repetitive behaviour all day which is clearly unhealthy. https://youtu.be/d-gcL8HTdpQ
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 am

Which one? The knocking with the beak, the slowly moving its body as in a circle, or the approach to the other bird's beak? In any case, what Mango doing his repetitive behavior all by himself or was he in front of another bird?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Pajarita wrote:Which one? The knocking with the beak, the slowly moving its body as in a circle, or the approach to the other bird's beak? In any case, what Mango doing his repetitive behavior all by himself or was he in front of another bird?

All of it he was doing except touching other birds, He was doing it alone and when the Cockatiels were next to him.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Well, the beak knocking is common to virtually all parrot species - some more, some less but I think that they all do it at some point in time. I don't know about the body rotation thing... I know that the video you posted was titled as if that was a courtship behavior but I looked at a video of wild birds of the same species and the male did not do that -he was 'bowing' to the hen.

If he were mine, I would re-evaluate my entire husbandry starting with light quality/schedule and diet because these are Indian birds and they all consume little protein and a lot of plant material.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet