Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Okay for a Senegal parrot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Okay for a Senegal parrot?

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm not really sure he much grains make up the senegal's diet, but for treats I'd like to use shredded wheat (like mini wheats, without the frosting obviously) whole grain cheerios, total cereal flakes, and uncooked oats pretty frequently for treats.

Thoughts on this? Also, is it the aroma of an onion that is poisonous to a bird or just eating it?
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Okay for a Senegal parrot?

Postby lzver » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:58 pm

On occasion I feed my Senegal and Red Bellied whole grain cereals ... but only as an occasional treat. I prefer to feed them them things where I know all the ingredients.

I'm not sure exactly what isn't good about onions, just heard that you shouldn't feed them to parrots.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Okay for a Senegal parrot?

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 am

notscaredtodance wrote:I'm not really sure he much grains make up the senegal's diet, but for treats I'd like to use shredded wheat (like mini wheats, without the frosting obviously) whole grain cheerios, total cereal flakes, and uncooked oats pretty frequently for treats.

Thoughts on this? Also, is it the aroma of an onion that is poisonous to a bird or just eating it?

I'd heard onions cause potential bleeding problems/blood anticoagulation. Unsure of the mechanism.

Be careful with the Cheerios. They have a lot of iron which can be bad in excess. I guess anything in excess in general is bad, though. :)
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet