Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Opinions on nutraberrys

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Opinions on nutraberrys

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

Nutriberries are seeds. Period. They do have dry veggies and fruits in them but I seriously doubt the birds eat them when they have the seeds right next to them. And, as Wolf said, these fruits and veggies are not organic, they are dry (not good for a parrot to eat dry stuff) and have preservatives to retain the color and texture (not good). I don't have a huge beef with man-made vitamins and minerals as long as they are used as a supplement to a good fresh food diet with plenty of naturally food-derived vitamins and minerals from their raw and frozen produce intake (my birds get some sprinkled on their gloop twice a week). But I would not recommend anybody relying on Nutriberries to provide these vits and mins, either. They are there but they are covering the seeds that make up the Nutriberries and parrots don't ever eat the hulls so even though they can eat the whole thing, I doubt enough if any of the supplements are getting into them as the enriched hulls will be discarded along with the hulls they peel off. I personally prefer to feed nuts to my large birds and a mixture of seeds and nuts to the medium-sized or just seeds to the small ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ILoveParrot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Does anyone here owns a Small Cockatoo? I wonder if it's okay for me to feed my cockatoo Nutri-berries.
ILoveParrot
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parrots

Postby Bird woman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 pm

I have all sizes of cockatoos and yes they get nutraberrys , not for a main diet , that's mostly veggies and those I free feed along with 2 kinds of fruit a day. They get a mixture of seed, pellets and 1 or 2 nutraberrys at night and sometimes a nut or 2. There's so much on the diet debate that this is what I've come up with that my whole flock will except. They always have fresh veggies available everyday all day but the rest is measured amounts. :D BW
Last edited by Bird woman on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

There is nothing inherently wrong with seeds or products made with seeds (like Avicakes and Nutriberries), the trick is not to use them as a staple.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby PatrickAlan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:54 pm

There doesn't appear to be anyone who has anything positive to say about processed bird food - whether it be Nutriberries, or Pellets or a blend of Seeds and Nuts. It's really enough to drive a new bird owner crazy.
I feed my Senegal Parrot Fresh Vegetables and Fruit for Breakfast.
and she gets Nutriberries and Avicakes for Dinner.
She likes the Nutriberries, and she enjoys them, so she is going to get them.
She eats enough Fresh vegetables and fruits from Breakfast until Dinner time.
I'm not one bit worried that she eats Nutriberries.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 pm

There in my opinion , is a place for pellets and goodies as my fids diets also include them . Many different ideas , studies and websites , enough to drive you crazy. Sooooo I know how much fresh they get daily and do what is best for me and my birds. They get 1-3 daily depending on which bird. Honestly it's like there dessert before they go to bed. :lol: :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 am

The only problem I see with Nutriberries and Avicakes is that they have soy (I will NOT feed soy to any of my animals!) and that people that feed them don't worry about vitamins/minerals when I am not sure at all that the birds actually get enough or even any from them. This, in my mind, creates an unsolvable conundrum because, as nobody can really tell if the bird gets any or enough, how do you supplement them? I don't like to worry unnecessarily (I worry enough as it is! :lol: ) so I would much rather supplement them myself just to make sure they are getting EXACTLY what they should than leaving it up to luck.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby PatrickAlan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm

LOL. The whole topic of Avian Nutrition is a total conundrum. No one is in agreement, there are a million opinions regarding the topic, as there are with Dog, Cat and any other animal Nutrition.
It all totally gives me a migraine, as you don't know what to do, what to feed, what not to feed.
For every positive point of view, there are hundreds of negative points of view. There are many, myself included, that feed the outdoor birds via bird-feeders, and we fill them with Wild bird seed.
I think the birds are doing just fine out there. I've never seen a Senegal Parrot in the wild, so I have no idea what one eats, but I am doing my very best to insure that my companion Senegal is eating well, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Outside of that, I don't think pellets and seeds will do her any harm.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm going to have to agree , I do my very best to make sure my birds get the full gamete of healthiness and there is way to much controversy on this subject especially when each and every bird I have is pickey as S--t . :lol: I've heard of parrots living on table scraps and peanuts and living 60 years not that I would let mine do that but honestly the fruits and veggies and processed garbage you get at the stores with all the genetically modified stuff with the allowable amounts of pesticides for human consumption couldn't be that good either. I grow a garden and freeze what I can every year and wash the hell out of the store bought stuff and try real hard to cook as organic as I can , that's all any of us can do.BW :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 am

Well, actually, there are excellent guidelines on dog and cat nutrition (there are even FDA rules for them) because we know A LOT about them and they are, after all, not only domesticated species but also we've been feeding them for, literally, tens of thousands of years so, with them, it's just a matter of accessing the data out there and making a decision: crap food made out of soy, grains and meat by-products (but cheap), or good food made out of real meat (and expensive). It's parrots nutrition that we don't really know about... Nobody knows enough, not the breeders, not the food manufacturers, not the avian vets, not the biologists, not anybody! And, yes, there are all these opinions about what is right and what is wrong but I do see a very strong trend towards feeding more and more fresh food instead of processed. Me, I am a control freak and a perfectionist so I not only have to know for a fact that I am giving them the best but also that I know EXACTLY what they are getting. So far (25 years and counting), it has worked very well because I've never lost a single bird to anything related to nutrition (and I include eggbinding here!), quite the contrary, birds that have come with conditions caused by malnutrition have gotten better so, the way I look at it, my way is most definitely 'not broke' :lol: .
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet