Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Opinions on nutraberrys

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Opinions on nutraberrys

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 am

So are Pellets out or in ? I see Wolf does not feed his birds pellets at all. As previously mentioned,
this is a total conundrum for bird owners. So, if not Roudybush, then what Pellets should we be feeding? Or are any Pellets good to feed at all ? There are just way to many varying opinions here on what to feed our birds. I feed my Senegal Fresh Fruit and Vegetables in the morning for Breakfast
and Nutri-Berries in the Evening. So, if I should be eliminating the Nutri-Berries, what should I feed in its place ?
PatrickAlan
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

Well, I don't feed pellets and neither did Wolf. I feed gloop and raw produce for breakfast and seeds/nuts for dinner with a multivitamin/mineral supplement twice a week (Wolf did the same) but if you are going to feed pellets, I would suggest you use Tops which are organic, made with human grade ingredients (the only one), no soy (the only one) and naturally derived vitamins and minerals (the only one) but you need to supplement vit D3 OR expose the bird to direct sunlight so it can produce it itself because they don't use anything that would provide it in the pellet (that's because vit D3 is only found in animal products which are not healthy for parrots).

Like I said, I have nothing against nutriberries because, to tell you the truth, I seriously doubt the birds eat anything else but the seeds in them and I have nothing against seeds (they are part of their natural diets) but you need to take into consideration that the bird might not be getting enough vit D3.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Pellets for birds. Yet others swear by them. My finches eat seeds
because finches are seed eaters. If I offered my Senegal a "parrot blend" she would pick out all of
the Sunflower seeds and eat nothing else. So I quickly stopped offering that type of food. Fresh is best, so I offer Fresh Fruit & Veggies for breakfast, which she loves, even though she has her preference for certain veggies over others. But she does eat the Nutriberries in the evening.
I don't really plan on offering her Pellets again ..... she refused them when I did offer them.
I tried Pellets on the finches and my Senegal .... they refused to eat them.

Bird ownership is a learning experience, and I love nothing better than to pick the minds of other
bird owners. It's fascinating and such a good learning experience.... :thumbsup:
PatrickAlan
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet