Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Opinions on nutraberrys

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Opinions on nutraberrys

Postby Bird woman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 pm

These have seed , pellets , fruit or veggies depending which ones you buy so wouldn't this be a happy medium between the great pellet and seed debate with of course fresh veggies and fruit everyday? Would like feed back and if anyone uses these which seem to be your fids favorite. I've tried tropical fruit and ALL my fids love them for treats. They say complete { so comments and thoughts would be appreciated} please. BW :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Opinions on nutraberrys

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:59 am

Nutriberries are for birds that wont eat pellets, Theres instructions that tell you how many to feed per day.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Rmoses » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:Nutriberries are for birds that wont eat pellets, Theres instructions that tell you how many to feed per day.

There Bird woman, you've got all you need to know from the professional parrot trainer.
I've never heard of nurtaberries, what kind of plant are they grown on. Do they grow in the UK as well as the US? If it's a manufactured food then would it not be a pellet in a different form? What I really need to know is what is the protein percentage. Hope it isn't too high, my amazon is already walking around the top of his cage, saying "here kitty kitty, here kitty kitty" . Maybe Pajarita will answer some of the questions about nurtaberries. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :roll:
Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby alienlady » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:49 pm

I haven't heard of them either, only as ingredients in cereal bars :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:26 pm

All right you wise guys , I'm trying to be serious here. :roll: LAFEBERS puts them out and actually they have quite a few other products they boast about being an 80% complete food , they are not so dry and hard as pellets and have a fair amount of seed and grain product in them. Oh and rick 10% protein, I'm not sure what amazons requirements are . I would just like to know FIRST is there anyone that has used this along with veggies and fruits as a base product and what everyone thinks of the ingredients. My birds love them with little to no waste but thus far I've only used them for treats . What I would really like to do is continue with the chop in the mornings and give these in place of pellets , seeds and few nuts at night. There has been so much waste and mess and different pallets to please this product is loved by all the fids and they gobble them right up. SOOOOO THOUGHTS ??? BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Bird woman wrote:All right you wise guys , I'm trying to be serious here. :roll: LAFEBERS puts them out and actually they have quite a few other products they boast about being an 80% complete food , they are not so dry and hard as pellets and have a fair amount of seed and grain product in them. Oh and rick 10% protein, I'm not sure what amazons requirements are . I would just like to know FIRST is there anyone that has used this along with veggies and fruits as a base product and what everyone thinks of the ingredients. My birds love them with little to no waste but thus far I've only used them for treats . What I would really like to do is continue with the chop in the mornings and give these in place of pellets , seeds and few nuts at night. There has been so much waste and mess and different pallets to please this product is loved by all the fids and they gobble them right up. SOOOOO THOUGHTS ??? BW

I know people who feed them the way you are doing it I got a free sample when Tiko's birthday toys were ordered and she loved them.I like your idea
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 am

I do not use nutraberries for my birds as I really don't care for the preservatives used in the dried fruits or the level of moisture in them. I am unable to get away from the low level of moisture whether I choose seeds or what for their evening meal, so I have learned to exist with this problem although I do try to keep a close watch on the moisture levels. I don't feed any dried fruits to my birds either. Perhaps this is due to my being a bit lazy as I do have a dehydrator of my own, but it is just so much easier for me to just cut up some fresh fruits and give that to them.

I must add that I am always a bit concerned about the use of artificial vitamins and minerals used in prepared food blends and due to the fact that the artificial ones are not used as readily as the natural ones I try to avoid any of these foods using artificial forms of vitamins and minerals. Also the more that a food is processed the fewer probiotics survive the processing to get to the bird.

These are my biggest reasons for avoiding not only nutraberries but most other processed bird foods. I will say that from what I have read that most birds really do seem to like them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 am

Dehydrated fruit also has a concentration of sugar. That is why a dry piece of fruit is sweeter than the fresh.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Jakeelias93 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I would think the concentrated sugar comes from the water being extracted.the same amount of sugar is present just in a smaller area. I just tried to feed my bird millet as a treat instead of the nutriberries but it doesn't like the millet not one bit. I'd say do not feed the berries all the time because they are addicting. My bird would only eat these if it could. But I don't let it. If your bird gets hungry enough, it will eat other things. You just have to find what it likes. Y
Jakeelias93
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, cockatoo, cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby PatrickAlan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 am

Since acquiring JoJo, he has really taken to eating Nutriberries. He loves them. I have given him the regular Parrot Nutriberries, and the Veggie Nutriberries. He eats them all. They are offered in the evening as his Dinner, along with pellets.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet