Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird food

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Bird food

Postby Partsman41953 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 am

Hi all,

I have a number of birds including a blue/gold macaw, umbrella cockatoo, 2 cockatiels, a blue Quaker, lovebird, and 3 parakeets. They are all on a combination of seed and nuts and because of this I have a house full of moths. How do I change them over to pellets? I tried to start them on pellets but they would simply not eat them. Is there a specific type or brand of pellets I should get as I really need to get rid of these seed moths.

I try to keep their pens clean but the moths simply do not want to leave.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Partsman41953
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: blue/gold macaw, umbrella cockatoo, cockatiel, blue Quaker, lovebird, parakeets.
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird food

Postby liz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am

Welcome to the forum.

They are called Pantry Moths and came in on the bird seed. They don't stay in the bird seed and will even go into your pellets as well as any dry food supplies that you have: flour, non sugared cereal, biscut mix and etc.

Instead of changing their food, get moth traps. If you can't find them in the store you can get them from the internet. They are bated with sex hormones and really work. It will take a while since when you see them they have already laid eggs. You just put them where you have seen the moths most (even under bird cages and keep changing them until there are no more to be caught.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 am

Liz is correct. Pantry moths will eat pellets, too. And, yes, they can be a problem but buying small batches of good quality seeds and nuts and keeping them in lidded containers in the fridge will eliminate the 'new' ones while the pheromone traps will take care of the old ones. I also feed seeds and nuts (only for dinner though) and, although I would see one or two on occasion (maybe once a year), no longer have a problem with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 am

I use Harrison's pellets mostly as well as seed but I didn't hear you mention fresh veggies and fruit :o which is soooo important . I have not had much problem with these moths only in the beggining with keeping food stored in the closet. Since then I've learned not to overfeed and dump leftovers before refilling. I do buy my food in bulk as I have a lot of birds like you and I break it up into Mylar bags and store it in the refrigerator / freezer. They sell the large moth bait stations online , I've never seen the big ones at the pet store but I'd go to a good grange and ask. Oh and welcome to the forum , we would love to hear all about your feather babies. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet