Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Transfer a Budgie to a Fruit and Veggie Diet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How to Transfer a Budgie to a Fruit and Veggie Diet?

Postby Georginia » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 am

I am ashamed to say that my two birds have eaten only seeds in their life, though I've been trying to convince them that fruits and veggies are yummy and good to eat! Some of my methods have been to nibble on a piece of fruit and the just hope they'll nibble on it, too. Right now I'm currently just placing a small amount of seeds in a separate dish from their main seed bowl and placing grated up carrots inside the smaller bowl of seed, however, I do not think it is working. I just really want my birds to be on a healthy diet so they can thrive and live a longer life, but I haven't been successful. I feel really bad to have been giving them such a poor diet before now, and have recently been ashamed to say they are on a seed diet. Please, any help!

P.S. The seeds I currently feed them are Wild Harvest Daily Blend, Nutrition Diet, Parakeet, Canary, & Finch
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: How to Transfer a Budgie to a Fruit and Veggie Diet?

Postby liz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 am

You learned what food to eat by watching your parents enjoy it. That is the way the birds learn. They watch the others in the flock. Eat in front of them and share a little of the safe foods you have.
We serve fruit and veggies as well as some kind of gloop in the morning. With no seed in the cage they will try the healthy stuff especially if you are eating and enjoying it. We let them have enough to pick at all day and only give seed for supper before bed time. Seed is like candy and has to be restricted or they will only eat the seed. Giving it to them in the evening, if they did not get enough to eat during the day, they can fill up and no one goes to bed hungry. When they are asleep remove the seed so they will be hungry when you give them breakfast.

Seed and nuts are high in protein and will encourage the birdies to get hormonal is why we restrict it. Control the protein and try to illuminate iron rich foods. We have a section on nutrition. You can read past posts and ask question too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: How to Transfer a Budgie to a Fruit and Veggie Diet?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Well, in my personal experience, budgies are not big on fruits and would only eat certain veggies BUT they do love leafy greens with a passion! All the budgies I've had loved gloop and that's the best way to get them to eat veggies - why don't you try and see what happens?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet