Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amazon PArrot

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Amazon PArrot

Postby amazhar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 am

My friend's amazon parrot was playing around and suddenly this feather fell off and it had blood. Can someone tell me please if We should be worrried or not and why?
amazhar
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Amazon PArrot

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

He must have broken a blood feather, poor guy :(
A blood feather is simply a new feather growing in, it contains blood when it first comes in, then the blood supply is cut off as the feather matures. When a bird breaks a blood feather, it will bleed and sometimes you will have to pull the feather out to stop the bleeding. A bird can break a blood feather during play if it flaps hard against something or falls. Clipped birds are more at risk for broken blood feathers because their new feathers aren't supported, and they can't catch themselves if they fall.
Since your friend's amazon's feather fell out, you probably don't need to worry about it. If you know where it came from (wing,tail) you can quickly check to make sure there is no more bleeding.
Good luck with your birdie :amazon:
Last edited by Trick or 'Tiel on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 am

Well, if it was a broken blood feather -aka pin feather- it would have kept on bleeding but, if it was a plucked feather, it would only show a bit of blood at the very end of the shaft (the white part that goes into the skin -kind of like the 'root' of the feather). If it's a broken pin feather, you can use an ice cube to shrink the blood vessels and once the bleeding is reduced, you can use wheat flour or corn starch to staunch it. If it was a plucked feather, you need to watch the bird to see if this is the beginning of feather destructive behavior.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Oh, I would have never guessed that it could have been a plucked feather. Feather plucking definitely is a problem, especially with larger parrots.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Oh, I would have never guessed that it could have been a plucked feather. Feather plucking definitely is a problem, especially with larger parrots.

Thats not true at all, Doesn't matter if the bird is big or small they pluck for many reasons meaning something is clearly going on in their life.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I don't know about you, but I personally have never encountered a budgie that plucked.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:I don't know about you, but I personally have never encountered a budgie that plucked.

I don't think many people have personally but of course its possible and a lot of conures pluck being small birds and all lol, Ive also seen IRN's pluck and Cockatiels and the tiny Parrotlets even smaller than a Budgie.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, it's true that I have seen some Quakers and Parrotlets, and sometimes Conures, pluck their feathers, but I still see it much more often with larger parrots such as Cockatoos and African Greys. Have you really seen a Cockatiel pluck? Interesting. And I never said it wasn't possible for small birds to pluck their feathers, I just said it was more common in larger birds.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Yes, it's true that I have seen some Quakers and Parrotlets, and sometimes Conures, pluck their feathers, but I still see it much more often with larger parrots such as Cockatoos and African Greys. Have you really seen a Cockatiel pluck? Interesting. And I never said it wasn't possible for small birds to pluck their feathers, I just said it was more common in larger birds.

Yeah a lot of Cockatiels pluck too, You see it more often in larger species because of the problems in their life a lot of people don't understand the attention they need etc
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 pm

I've had budgies and tiels that came to me plucking but they all got better -well, except for a female tiel that never grew back the feathers but she was an old bird that also had a bald head, the poor thing! And I now have a female plet that plucks because she was kept as an only parrot for years. When she went to live with her new owner, I got her a mate (that was the agreement, that she would go to Wolf but that she was to have a mate) but, for some particular reason, he started attacking her after a while so they were separated and she kept on plucking. They are now in my home and back together again and although they have not fought at all, I still keep my eye on them, just in case. AND she has three pretty new green feathers on her chest! Now we'll have to see if she leaves them alone or plucks them too...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet