Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop - Recipe Ideas and How Do You Make It?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Gloop - Recipe Ideas and How Do You Make It?

Postby Georginia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Please just give me easy-to-make gloop recipes and instructions on how to make it, that would be greatly appreciated! Also, how do you get a bird to eat gloop, how do you convince them?
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Gloop - Recipe Ideas and How Do You Make It?

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:24 am

You don't really need to convince them, you just put it there and they eat it but you can do a couple of things to make them do it faster.

Gloop is a dish made out of cooked whole grains, pulses, some good seeds and chopped veggies. There is a very easy recipe that I think I called supermarket or easy gloop you can search for but the easiest one is to buy a box of Kashi's 7 Whole Grains Pilaf. It brings 3 baggies inside and you can cook one at a time so you don't end up with a huge batch. I make real large batches and I buy the grains all separately because some of my birds don't like the Kashi as it has rye which they don't like. Just for your info, I use wheat kernels, oat groats, hulled barley, kamut, teff, red rice and/or black rice and black lentils (I can now find all of these in my supermarket except for the black lentils which I can only find in Whole Foods but you can also use the regular brown lentils). You cook the grains in a lot of water and drain once they are cooked (if you need to) until they are soft on the outside and hard on the inside (about 30 minutes once it starts boiling) BUT you need to cook the lentils thoroughly so they will be soft all the way through. Once this is cooked, you let it cool and then add frozen veggies to it (do not thaw them, the veggies are more nutritious if they stay frozen until the time you thaw the whole thing for serving). I use frozen corn, peas, carrots, chopped broccoli, butternut squash and artichoke hearts but I also add white hominy, small white beans from cans (you need to rinse them VERY thoroughly under running water) and sweet potatoes I cook in the microwave in a Potato Express bag (but you can bake them or boil them, too). Once this is all mixed, I add some flax (for omegas) and sesame seed (for the methionine -VERY good for their liver!). You then split it into little baggies that hold one daily portion and freeze them. I take them out of the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge for three days but yours are going to be very small so you can take them out the night before and leave them out for thawing overnight.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet