Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Female cockatiel is egg bound.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Female cockatiel is egg bound.

Postby baven » Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 pm

My 2 year old (nearly 3) cockatiel began acting very strangely today. She's the first female I've owned, and she's never laid eggs before, so I don't know what's going on.

Three hours ago, she started by squatting down and assuming this hunched over pose, breathing hard and making strained noises all of a sudden. This went on for a while and occasionally she'd walk around (mostly to follow me) before she started getting extremely tired and eventually stopped whatever she was doing. To me, it looked like eggs, because I managed to inspect her and when she strained, there was a reddish "lump" seeming like it was trying to be pushed out of her vent. I was sure that she was going to lay an egg, but now, she's acting perfectly fine and is eating, drinking, and flying around (which doesn't ease my anxiety) as if nothing happened.

Naturally, I'm terrified of egg binding. She seems fine and seems to have recovered, but for safety I'm keeping a very close eye on her and have her some warm pads to rest on and hoping that, if it's an egg, she'll try again. But the thing is, she hasn't pooped since, which is unusual for her.

I worry that maybe she was constipated (she was rubbing her vent around against the bars of her cage and other objects the past few days, including a lot right before she started taking on that stance) or still possibly is. And, of course, if there's eggs in her.

I'm giving it 24 hours until I decide to take her to the vet, especially if her condition worsens or she doesn't lay.

Any thoughts?

Should I make a nesting box for her, or should I take her straight to the vet? I'm incredibly worried for her health, as I've never been in this situation before.

EDIT: I've fed her some eggs with shells in hopes of raising her calcium level, and she doesn't get a primarily seed diet although she is quite picky about any vegetables or fruits. She also has been grooming around her vent a lot. She refuses to let me touch her stomach, but she doesn't look bloated.
Last edited by baven on Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
baven
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Female cockatiel laying egg or constipated?

Postby liz » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

How long has it been since she pooped?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby baven » Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 pm

I actually just gave her a warm bath and am currently keeping her cozy and monitoring her condition. She still is acting completely normal.

Shortly after the bath, she pooped for the first time (as far as I could tell, and I was watching her like a hawk) in 4 hours. Then, later, she had two smaller ones. I haven't been able to tell if that's it, but it was pretty relieving to see that.

If I don't see any eggs by tomorrow, I think I'll be making a call to the vet. She's never been sick or had any severe medical issues and I don't know if this is her way of hiding one.
baven
Parakeet

Postby liz » Wed May 03, 2017 6:00 am

I can't believe no one with knowledge answered you. Since I come on so early in the morning I am usually first contact.
Some one should get to you this morning.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Bird woman » Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm

You need to be extra careful and monitoring the poop is good as a laying hen will usually have loose poops and not poop as often. If you saw red coming out of the vent be concerned of a prolapse, looks like a red sack. I have a hen that started to lay first time in 17 years and first go around was straining and holding poop . Scared the hell out of me. I rubbed the vent area with a little Vaseline and she popped it right out, but there was never a prolapse visual. I'd be safe than sorry and get her to a vet. Also putting the little butt area in some warm water to soak a little to relax the muscles if she will stand there may help too. Honestly the big hen of mine was the first time I've dealt with eggs and when I did the Vaseline and a little rubbing the egg popped right out. Right or wrong this was my experience. Right now I'm dealing with a male umbrella that has prolapsed and gone through 4 surgeries with the previous owners {cheep quick fix surgeries} and I'm scheduling him for major reconstructive surgery to give him a fighting chance. And yes pajirta there's a new special needs baby that needed me. :roll: the lady begged me to take him and he was in horrible condition as she only has 4 months to live. BW. { I know what you would do pajirta} : :thumbsup: :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby baven » Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for your input, guys!

She has a vet appointment tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll be able to look into it.

However, she does exhibit some symptoms that worry me.

Although she acts normally, she seems to have more trouble breathing and while she does this, her tail bobs (which is already not the best thing). She sometimes stands with her feet spread farther apart, and she has poop remains on her vent. She's been trying to clean at it a lot, but has not attempted to push out anything since.

Her droppings are also becoming more watery. Borderline diarrhea. But otherwise, she doesn't act like they're hard to pass or anything.

She's being kept warm and happy, and I've really been enforcing the calcium intake these past few hours.

Anyways, here's to hoping the vet will be able to help her with whatever she needs. It's relieving that she eats, drinks, and behaves normally, but I know that I'm probably taking that for granted and that birds hide their symptoms. Thanks, again, I'll update you once I get the results from the vet.
baven
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Wed May 03, 2017 11:36 pm

Make sure you are armed with proper protocol and some knowledge of procedures so you have an idea of the right way the exam should be done, ex-rays and treatments. Never hurts to know a little and ask the right questions. Everything you have said in this last post points right to egg binding ! Very serious if not addressed right away. Good luck BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 am

Put a piece of clean bond paper in the bottom of her carrier. Mine do a couple poops on the way to the vet and he can see each one.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Bird woman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:53 am

Very good idea Liz ! :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am

I have no idea how I missed this posting! I am so sorry that I did not reply but she is now going to the vet today so...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet