Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stress bars and inadequate feeding

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Stress bars and inadequate feeding

Postby toni » Sat May 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Hiya all

This is my gorgeous baby Bentley, who we've had around 5 weeks or so now. He was at the vets yesterday RE the state of his feathers (first photo) and the vet explained it was stress bars causing the black lines and the breakage. I had never heard of these and had convinced myself he had feather lice!

Bentleys breeder stopped his formula feeding very quickly and he was weaned onto seeds which is apparently what caused it. The good news though is that thanks to a lovely lady on here I spoke to, I put Bentley straight back onto formula feeds along with Harrisons high potency pellets as he is having a big molt. plus an array of fresh fruits and vegetables and nuts, and the vet says he should have no problems with his new feathers coming in as he is now receiving all the nutrients he needs (along with a stolen chicken nugget on the pic lol which i have to point out he didn't eat!). I am extremely grateful to the lady on here who gave me all the correct information!

Bentley is part of our family and although he has a huge cage, he has never been caged. He lives on the top of it when he wants his peace and quiet and spends the rest of the time with us and on the floor running around following everyone and tormenting our yorkie Beau!. We are waiting for his harness so we can take him outside which i am very excited about and i know he will love it as he sits on the window sill for ages watching the birdies in the trees in the garden!! So hopefully my beautiful Bentley will be nothing but a 100% healthy parrot from now on as he is the perfect new member of our family! :macaw:
toni
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: macaw blue and gold
Flight: Yes

Re: Stress bars and inadequate feeding

Postby toni » Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm

I am so sorry - I have no idea what went wrong with the photos!!
toni
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: macaw blue and gold

Re: Stress bars and inadequate feeding

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 21, 2017 9:39 am

Hi, Tony and Bentley, welcome to the forum! The pictures are too big, you need to go back to your photo-sharing site and reduce them (don't ask me how, I have no idea! :lol: ).

So glad your baby is doing better and let us know if we can be of further service.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet