Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Odd thing

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Odd thing

Postby Jbab » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi everyone - bit of an odd thing tonight and just seeking advice. Myself and peewee afinally seem to have bonded and he enjoys lots of tender cuddle - especially in the evenings. Anyway, tonight he was all content on my shoulder with me talking to him and scratching him when he then starts some weird kind of repeated yawning. It was a cross between repeated yawning, attempt regurgitating and trying to be sick. He's fine in himself and once off my shoulder he was back to being into everything all ok again. Any ideas?
Jbab
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel and African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Odd thing

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm

It sounds as if he was 'adjusting' his crop. Does he chew anything made out of fibers? Because, sometimes, this is what causes the need for 'adjustment'...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:12 pm

I honestly have no idea what it is but Ducky does it too when he's really enjoying a scratch, and I've seen this golden conure at the pet store do it too when he's being scratched. I've also seen my birds do it when there's something stuck in their beak, like a seed casing or a fluffy down feather.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 am

I agree with the above. My birds yawn. Could it be that he is yawning?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Georges mom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:44 pm

George does that too. I use to think he had something stuck in his throat . I see him do it before he takes a snooze too. Adjustment or yawn.
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet