Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP parrot nasal congestion

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

HELP parrot nasal congestion

Postby sancho » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 am

My DYH has had stuff out his nasal for a couple of weeks now. It's clear but from time to time its coming out a lot or a little. Should I be concerned? Poop looks fine. He's still eating and acting normal. I don't know if I have my A/c running all the time too cold for him. It's been so hot here so I keep the house cool all day but the air isn't blowing on him just the house is cooler around 70's.
sancho
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head
Flight: No

Re: HELP parrot nasal congestion

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:52 am

Yes, you should most definitely be concerned. Take him to an avian vet because nasal discharge is a symptom of a respiratory infection (but it could also be chlamydiosis) and you don't want to wait to medicate him. If the house is kept at 70 degrees, it cannot be the A/C. Does he eat pellets or, if he eats seeds, does he eat a lot of yellow and/or orange veggies? Do you give him vitamins? Because a vit A deficiency causes them to get respiratories, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby sancho » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

I took him just to be on the safe side and the vet didn't see any nasal congestion and his tract (I think that's what he said) inside his mouth was good too. Overall, very healthy bird but he prescribed antibiotics. Maybe I was being paranoid but last couple weeks he's had the most discharged I've ever seen. Thanks.
sancho
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head
Flight: No

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Taking a bird into a steamy shower daily helps tremendously and make sure to give birdie baths or showers { cool ones } not before bed either 3 times a week. This can be a bowl of water or spray bottle or shower perch , however your bird likes to bath. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet