Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stress in the nest

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Stress in the nest

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am

We have already learned from other studies that baby birds that are stressed out when very young, grow up and remain high-strung the rest of their lives {which I personally believe is one reason for the large number of pluckers we have]. Now we have another study that tells us that when baby birds go through stress in the nest, they die sooner... And I would not be surprised if this is not the cause of pet birds, which, by all accounts, should live longer than the wild ones [no predators, good diet, no exposure to elements, etc], end up dying young.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 085035.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Stress in the nest

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 am

I've been thinking about this... and I think that both studies actually say the same thing because if stress in the nest translates into a chronically high-strung bird, it would automatically mean a shorter lifespan as being high-strung is stressful and stress shortens the telomeres.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet