Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Good Diet for Budgies?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Good Diet for Budgies?

Postby Cockatude » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Today 3 kids came by to see my African grey and Citron cockatoo. It's a weird story. Their mom is an old friend, and one of the boys has budgies. He is very interested in parrots, and a long time ago, while he was looking at Youtube videos, he came across some long-forgotten videos I did, featuring my birds. Totally random thing. Anyway, he has wanted to meet them ever since.

I was talking to the boys and their mom about their budgies, and they said they were getting mainly seed with some vegetables added. Because my vet told me to get my birds off of seed, I passed the information along. Now they wonder what they should be using.

What's good for budgies? I have never owned one. Is there a good, affordable product out there? These folks are not able to fork out for designer bird food. Dad got in trouble and is now a guest of the state, and he has elected to cut off all contact with his kids. Mom had to take whatever employment she could get.
Cockatude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey
Flight: No

Re: Good Diet for Budgies?

Postby stevesjk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 am

My budgie wouldnt eat pellets so i give him a seed called xtra vital budgie seed, it smells great and my budgie loves it. Alongside he has fruit and veg everyday. Hes 7 years old and going strong.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:28 am

Well, it's never a good idea to free-feed seed to any parrot regardless of how good and how fortified the seed is. I do feed mine seed [ABBA 1600 -Budgie mix] but they get gloop and lots of leafy greens and one piece of fruit [they are not natural fruit eaters but they can learn to munch on them a little bit if one insists and insists]. The gloop has veggies mixed in it and, although they don't eat all of them [they ALWAYS leave the green beans and the white hominy behind], they eat the more 'important' ones: carrots, corn, peas, sweet potatoes and butternut squash. These veggies, along with the leafy green [which they LOVE!], the cooked whole grains, the measured amount of seed they get for dinner and the vitamin/mineral supplement they get twice a week does the trick for mine. I will post pictures of them on my next update as I am particularly happy with the way they are doing... they all look real pretty [even though they are having a real hard molt -from the bad diet they had had in the past] and so happy! They are very active, vivacious, chattering and interacting so nicely, it's a pleasure to just stand in front of their flight cage and simply look at them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I give mine crushed parrot pellets. My choice, being zupreem natural. And, i mix a little of what the parrots have, which is either banana and sweet potato baby food. Or carrot and mango mixed. On top, i sprinkle half of one almond or walnut crushed. Lately, ive been getting my jardine to miraculously take bites of raw spinach. I like it. So i eat it around them. Then clip in everyones cage. So far no nibbles from the budgies. For birds that are supposed to like greens. Ive tried every which way without luck. But, since my meyers ate a couple of my jardines peas, and now suddenly out of the blue likes garbonzo beans...i have hope. I did not know that they really didnt eat fruit!!!! Should i skip fruit for them? Thnx
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Oh and they also get millet once a week. Its a treat but also lurs them in their travel cage to prepare them for needing to be in it.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I don’t have budgies but I have a hooded parrot which is a grass keet. I give him gloop but he eats mostly a Parakeet seed mixture. The vet wanted him on pellets, but I don’t see the point of trying to get a grass keet onto pellets.

He is on Dr Harvey’s Parakeet blend.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:35 am

Budgies are natural grass seed eaters so, as long as the mix is low in protein and fat and they are eating produce, it should be OK. My budgies [all adopted and all doing wonderfully well!] eat gloop with produce for breakfast. They LOVE their greens [two of the males, Tweety and Blue, were taking a wonderful 'leaf bath' on their romaine lettuce this morning] and eat all their gloop [they were leaving the green beans behind so I eliminated them from the new budgie gloop I am trying out and now they eat all of it, including all the veggies in it: corn, peas, carrots, butternut squash, white hominy, chopped broccoli and sweet potatoes] but they hardly ever eat fruit or veggies on their own although they do eat the ones in the gloop. They make exceptions for things like apples, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and squashes but little else. For dinner, they eat ABBA 1600 -a budgie mix which has plenty of millet so they never get the sprays. They also get vitamins in their water twice a week and have a couple of cuttlebones in their cage, which they munch on every now and then.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet