Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Forest Fires

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Forest Fires

Postby GreenWing » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I think there are other Oregon residents who post here. I'm in the Portland area.

The forest fires are really bad this way, ash is all over and local towns have been evacuated. I am inside with the doors and windows closed obviously but I'm still affected by the smoke. The air quality report is harmful all over. In any case I'm worried about Chance. I'm wondering if a new air filter in the air purifier will help inside or if I need to drive somewhere out of town... but since there are fires everywhere there are few places to escape to. I could go north towards Seattle but even Seattle is affected by fires.

Advice? It's like Pompeii here!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Forest Fires

Postby Bird woman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 am

Make sure the filters in your system are rated for the smoke partials and not just bird dander. We just hit hazardous and extremely hazardous today . Southern Oregon area } my house sounds like a 737 is landing on top of it with all the filtration systems I'm running. You have 1 bird so it would be easy to keep a proper filtered system going for 1 room but I also am running a portable indoor swamp to keep moisture in the air { not vented outside } I also am running an 8 ton built in hepa system but it's so bad I've brought in several different systems and am running them all. At least try to keep the room your bird and you spend your time in as clean as possible , doors always shut purifiers on . Remember your using the same air and the only time it's exchanged is if your running the air conditioner . We need a miracle and a lot of rain would help. Good luck. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:11 am

A humidifier would take the smoke particles out of the air.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

Air humidifier won't work because the air needs to be forced through filter and water curtain. Using more expensive blue filter pads works best. It's really bad here Liz , you can't even breath outside. Most of the wild birds are gone , very quiet outside , very eirey.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am

What I would do is keep the birds in one room, seal all the windows with tape and keep the door close at all times; run a HUGE air purifier as well as a humidifier' and put A LOT of leafy plants in the room during the day but take them out at night [because they produce oxygen during the day but carbon dioxide during the night but make sure they have a good full spectrum light so they can do their photosynthesis well].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 am

That is a very good idea, Pajarita. The moisture from the humidifier will grab the smoke particles and bring them to the floor.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:55 pm

We used two air purifiers and taped any cracks in doors we could see to prevent smoky air from coming in. It worked very well.

Now we have the rains and the fires are reduced.

I can't help but think of the wildlife affected by the fires. It's sad. For the Gorge fire, all it took was a teenager lighting a firework in the woods to have it blow up into a massive, damaging fire.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

Yes, fires are devastating to wildlife and, as we have unfortunately either eliminated or degraded their natural habitats, it's hard for them to 'come back'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet