Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tail feather fell off prematurely???

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Tail feather fell off prematurely???

Postby Waffles » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi! So my bird when I first got him, didnt have his tail feathers, and when he finally grew one back, A couple weeks later, it fell off! I didnt do anything to it, and theres blood on the tip of the feather. What should i do? Is my bird purposely plucking his tailfeathers off or are they getting caught and pulled off? What can i do to prevent this?

Sincerely, Waffles the cockatiel
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Tail feather fell off prematurely???

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am

Well, it could be either she plucked it or it got tangled up or caught somewhere and pulled out. It was definitely not a natural thing or something that should have happened but it does happen sometimes - especially with birds that have very long tail feathers. Usually, birds like conures, parakeets, budgies and cockatiels -which all have in common tails as long or longer than their bodies- do get their rectrices [that's the name for the long tail feathers, singular is 'rectrix' and it literally means 'she who directs' cool, isn't it?!] all raggedy and worn out when they are caged for too many hours [this is because they tend to hang on to the bars and their tails crash and rub against them all the time]. And, when the birds are not getting good nutrition, they also break very easily BUT there is no blood on either end and the birds just end up with shortened feathers [what we call a 'duck tail' :D ] . Sometimes, when birds are young and have not had healthy parents and good food when they were babies, they take a couple of molts to get a good plumage so I would not worry too much over it but I would make a mental note to not only ensure the bird is getting a real good diet but also to check on its plumage every now and then to see if it's coming out stronger and better. Add a tiny bit of sesame seed to it's dinner seed mix, they are rich in methionine, an amino acid needed for feather production and make sure she is getting a good vitamin/mineral supplement - but don't over do it! Too many vitamins and minerals are, often, worse than too little!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Tail feather fell off prematurely???

Postby liz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 am

When I got Rainbow she had no flight feathers. She also had junk food in his every day diet. She was 15 when I got him. I think she was 30 when I saw flight feathers growing. I was following the diet set up by the hands on and researching people in this forum. I don't think she ever flew before and did not know what to do with them.

It has been a good while but she has gone from jumping off her cage and hitting the floor to flapping hard and getting distance with a soft landing.

They do grow back even after not having them for a long time. It just takes proper care.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet