Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pomegranates are here!!!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pomegranates are here!!!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 am

Although I don't actually do it on purpose, my birds do end up eating a seasonal diet of sorts because I always try to give them whatever it's seasonal so, during the summer, it's lots of fresh corn but, as the weather turns colder, it's pumpkins and pomegranates - which they ALL love with a passion! From the tiny finches to the budgies [which are NOT fruit eaters] to the larger species, they all adore pomegranate seeds and taking into consideration that this is not only a purely seasonal item but also EXCELLENT nutrition, they get them once or twice a week. Below, a nutritional guide on them [and don't freak out when you see the 'bloody' splatters on the floor later in the day :D ]

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutr ... megranates

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/library ... protection

PS the best way to peel them is to cut them in half and, submerged in a bowl of cold water, use your fingers to dislodge all the red seeds which will fall to the bottom while the white 'skin' will float. It doesn't only make it easier to prepare but it also helps to keep your fingers from getting stained with the juice.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Pomegranates are here!!!

Postby liz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 am

Thank you for the way to get those little red seeds out without crushing them.

I believe that I should eat what is in season. In the summer I eat a lot of veggies and little meat. In the winter I eat more protein and carb. The birds seem to do the same thing. I give them both plates at the same time. One is veggie the other is softened grain. In the summer they go for the veggie plate first. In the winter they start on the grain plate first.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet